PDA

View Full Version : LB7 vs. LBZ

Ryster
09-03-2008, 11:37
Hello everyone,

New here to these forums but have been reading them for years. Ok, current dillema, I currently own a 2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Dmax (LLY unfortunately) and am currently browsing around for a new Dmax. I have know a couple of friends that have owned and currently own an LB7 but I don't know anyone that owns and LBZ.

If anyone has any suggestions, advice, personal experience that they would share, I would really appreciate it!

Cheers!

More Power
09-04-2008, 10:06
The LBZ is essentially a mature LLY, though there were some internal changes, such as a lower compression ratio, some minor block, piston and connecting rod upgrades. Some of the LLY issues with heating were resolved, and the LBZ equipped trucks come with an advantage in stock power and the 6-speed Allison. The big power players around the country are building hybrid LB7/LBZ engines, by installing LB7 cylinder heads on LBZ shortblocks, which gives the engine the advantage of the LB7 power products and the mechanical upgrades of the LBZ shortblock. ;)

Jim

Mark Rinker
09-04-2008, 11:10
Can you tell us how you envision using the truck, miles per year expected, and how long you plan to own it? I have owned all three generations of Duramax and have some opinions...

MP - Do the LB7 heads bolt right up, or are modifications required?

Ryster
09-04-2008, 14:42
Mark - I use the truck for hunting, camping, fishing, etc....But also to haul goose neck trailers full of aspen trees in the fall and normal stuff like hauling yard matierials, helping friends move, etc....Oh yeah and blowing away 5.0 mustangs! ;)

I typically drive my truck about 15K per year and I would be keeping my current truck for a long time but I am not impressed with the mileage I get (16.8 best ever on the highway, 13 avg in the city) and I should have ordered it with a few more options like redundant steering wheel controls and leather, etc.....So the next truck I buy will be kept for 7-10+ years easy!!

Jim - Thanks for the information! I take it from your response that without modifications, you would take an LB7 over and LBZ!?

Ryster
09-09-2008, 15:21
Anyone else have any advice and/or preferences on LB7 versus LBZ?

More Power
09-09-2008, 15:37
For most folks, the best truck is the one in their driveway. ;) However, the LBZ is mature enough in design to get the most votes if looking for another truck. The LBZ benefited from the prior 5 years of Duramax and powertrain development.

Jim

Ryster
09-09-2008, 15:48
Nice, thanks Jim, I really appreciate it!

TimA8201
05-05-2009, 09:58
I have a 2006 LBZ and love it, I have 4" MBRP exhaust and the edge juice w/attitude programmer, I get 17-18 MPG around town with the programmer set on level 5 if I keep my foot out of it. On the hight way driving 79 mph I have gotten between 20 and 21, pretty happy with that. I used to own a 2002 LB7 best I got around town was 14 and 18-19 on the highway, the 6th gear helps, I had the same programmer on that one with 4" exhaust and I just had the k&n filter installed not the whole intake. Overall I am very happy with the LBZ. P.S. its quicker than the LB7 as well.

trailrider0493
05-05-2009, 14:02
I have a 2001 D/A extended cab. I am at 68k miles and have had no issues as of yet. There's nothing out that I like better that what I have. Good mpg's, plenty of towing power, rides great.

Mark Rinker
05-05-2009, 17:54
Mark - I use the truck for hunting, camping, fishing, etc....But also to haul goose neck trailers full of aspen trees in the fall and normal stuff like hauling yard matierials, helping friends move, etc....Oh yeah and blowing away 5.0 mustangs! ;)

I typically drive my truck about 15K per year and I would be keeping my current truck for a long time but I am not impressed with the mileage I get (16.8 best ever on the highway, 13 avg in the city) and I should have ordered it with a few more options like redundant steering wheel controls and leather, etc.....So the next truck I buy will be kept for 7-10+ years easy!!

Jim - Thanks for the information! I take it from your response that without modifications, you would take an LB7 over and LBZ!?

This thread got bumped back to the top...did you ever buy a 'new' Duramax? If so, what did you buy?

There are some great deals on low mile trucks out there right now.