PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Oil Pans, whats out there?

Billy V
01-19-2004, 15:03
What after market trans oil pans are available?

One with a temp sensor port and drain plug would be nice smile.gif

Barry Nave
01-19-2004, 15:14
The best,Mag-Hytec Alumminum trans Pan man :D

MikeC
01-19-2004, 15:45
Billy,

My trans pan and Diff cover came from PML. Look at my Suburban in the readers rigs section, there is a photo of the Trans pan and Diff cover I got from them. Both have drain plugs and IIRC they are both magnetic plugs. The trans pan has a boss that can be tapped for a temp probe but I put mine in the outlet line instead. I am pleased with them and they are less expensive.

Mike Cooper

ps If you have trouble finding PML's site with a search of the net, I'll help point you toward them. The site is "yourcovers"

Dvldog 8793
01-19-2004, 17:18
Howdy
I have Mag Hy-tech covers on both my trans and diff. they ARE the best cover I've ever seen. SUPER HEAVY duty and loaded with features. Both have mag drain plugs, temp probe holes already taped, diff cover has a dipstick, both have O-ring seals and come with all Stainless bolts. The customer service is OUTSTANDING! I have dropped the trans pan twice for different reasons and they sent me a new O-ring and bolt kit for FREE both times. :eek:
Check them out and consider the value of service and the ABSOLUTE highest quality.
I'm not trying to down grade anybody elses stuff but I've never seen anything better. tongue.gif
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

damork
01-20-2004, 06:28
I bought the pan for the 95 2WD 4L80E which comes with a drain plug and is identical in capacity as what came in my truck. I welded a 1/8" pipe bung into the side for a temp sensor and have everything I need. Total cost is under $35 (pan was $27 from GM at discount).

I looked for a high capacity pan, but for my use I could find no benefit in a high capacity pan and the prices they want. To keep my tranny cool, I have a TruCool cooler made by Long who makes the OEM cooler, the one I added is 29,000 BTU capacity. My pan temps went from 200F+ on hot summer days to never exceeding 175F. If you condition the fluid you have, you don't need extra capacity. If my load goes up I would definitely add more cooling capacity before adding fluid volume. GM appeared to use similar logic in the cooling system changes they implemented in 97 - they increased the flow but not the volume.

If someone could provide a higher capacity steel pan with drain plug and temp port, I might have opted for it, but can't justify the expense of the glitzty crome, etc.

ucdavis
01-20-2004, 17:24
I got the B&M finned aluminum pan kit through Summit Racing. It adds about 3 quarts to a stock 4L80E, has magnetic drain plug & boss for another tap (most who use it install temp sender). I measured for clearance B4 ordering & I don't lose any (other obstructions hang that low or lower) or I wouldn't have bought it. Comes w/zinc plated bolts (which I'll change out for stainless shoulder bolts B4 installing), extended pick-up and O-ring. Not as finely finished as the mag-tek discussed above, but about half the prices I found on the web (@ ~$165 delivered for the B&M).

Billy V
01-22-2004, 10:32
Thanks guys.
I ordered the B&M pan. It comes with a stock filter and gasket, hard to beat the price.
$170 delivered.