PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it??

maverick_935
09-07-2008, 16:19
As per my signature with 250,000 kms on it. Yes, I'm in Canada.

I want to know what upgrades are necesssary or practical to tow a possible trailer weight of 10,000lbs dry.
I can't afford a new truck but would like to upgrade my trailer(5th).

Do I need to change gears? I am looking at getting the gauge package, I don't know who from yet, and probably programming. Any suggestions on vendors?

I am also looking at the intercooler that Jim installed.

Is this realistic or pratical?? Also, any mechanic's or garages in New Brunswick for the 6.5.

DennisG01
09-09-2008, 08:43
Use the search function - especially in the 6.5 section - there'll be more info there. You'll find lot's and lot's of threads/info about what you're seeking. You mentioned switching gears - what ratio do you currently have? You'll want 3.73 at a minimum. Does your exhaust include a better downpipe?

Vendors? The major players are Kennedy, Heath and Wester's. All are very good. Wester's is in Canada.

maverick_935
09-09-2008, 16:37
I currently have 3.73. The downpipe is 3" and the exhaust is 4"
I have never heard of wester's until now.

DennisG01
09-10-2008, 05:20
Wester's has been around for a long time - in fact, other companies actually sublet out to him to make the programming for their chips. Kennedy used to, but now Kennedy does his own. I don't know if Heath does his own (my guess is that he does).

Just some thoughts - things you'll probably want to look into:
-- Obviously gauges (pre-turbo boost) and intercooler, as you mentioned
-- HD fan clutch (get Kennedy's version)
-- See how it pulls, then maybe consider a water injection system for the hills
-- Hi-pop injectors - make sure they're the real thing

I tow a 10,000lb boat (although, from experience, a boat seems to tow like it feels heavier than it actually is - probably due to the awful aerodynamics). I can put my foot to the floor and hold it there at highway speeds - the EGT's won't go above 950*. BUT, and this is a big but, I also have an 18:1 engine, made by Ron Schoolcraft.

rhsub
09-13-2008, 21:06
Does anybody know how to get in touch with Westers?????, I have heard about him but I have been unable to get in contact with him:confused::confused:
Thanks in advance
Ron

KallyI
09-14-2008, 03:52
Here's a link to their website contact page:

http://westersgarage.eidnet.org/contacts.htm