PDA

View Full Version : Crank Pulley Failure

CareyWeber
09-10-2008, 19:45
I just got done replacing my timing chain components (chain, gears, damper, crank pulley) (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=27411&page=6) and just a month later the new crank pulley failed. The rubber split and then it rotated so that the bolts are no longer centered.

I had not thrown out the old factory original pulley (it didn't look bad I only replaced it due to its age/miles 213K), so I put it back on, so the truck can be used. The pulley that failed was an Autozone made in China version. I think I may bite the bullet and get a GM one AC Delco one this time.

Has anyone else had sudden new crank pulley failure?

I ran it with the original pulley and held my finger against both the pulley and the damper and they both felt smooth while running.

Do you think I need to be worried?

My wife had been driving it and she said the noise just started today, so it only was ran say 20 to 25 miles with the noise.

I marked the damper so I can tell if it moves.

Carey

More Power
09-10-2008, 22:36
The pulley that failed was an Autozone made in China version. I think I may bite the bullet and get a GM one AC Delco one this time.

Has anyone else had sudden new crank pulley failure?

I ran it with the original pulley and held my finger against both the pulley and the damper and they both felt smooth while running.

Do you think I need to be worried?

My wife had been driving it and she said the noise just started today, so it only was ran say 20 to 25 miles with the noise.

Hope for the best. You're probably OK.

Chalk up another reason for not buying 6.5 parts from China.... :rolleyes:

Did Autozone refund your money? I'd let the manager know what you discovered.

Jim

CareyWeber
09-15-2008, 08:49
Well I guess it is going to be ok I made two short trips this weekend. First I towed a horse trailer about 60 miles round trip to a show and then latter drove about 125 miles round trip and it ran fine. I still have to return the faulty part and buy a new GM pulley.