PDA

View Full Version : Power Lock switch Barn Door Suburban not locking.

noelb
09-11-2008, 07:17
I have a Power Doorlock switch just inside the rear barn door of my Suburban. The problem is if I press "lock " and close the door the barn door does not lock - nothing happens... :( However if I press "unlock" and close the barn door - Hey presto the locking mechanism activates to unlock the barn door... :confused:Hello-oo! the door is already unlocked!

A module somewhere is supposed to operate the locks again after the barn door is closed but this is not happening on locking but for some strange reason it is for unlocking.

Question:-

How can I get the door to lock when I press the button to lock it? Any ideas?? Is there some module that is wired incorrectly? What module Where?

DennisG01
09-11-2008, 07:50
Are you saying when you press the button (lock) you don't hear any sound? You should hear the other doors locking, and then a few seconds after you close the barn door, then the barn door will lock. If you're not hearing anything, I would pop the switch out, disconnect it and try squirting some contact cleaner or brake cleaner at it. Maybe the contacts are dirty. Also, check the pins in the door frame - check to see they push in and pop out easily. Clean up the pin head and the contact surface.

noelb
09-11-2008, 16:27
Thanks Dennis, When I press the button to "lock" I hear the other doors lock but when I close the door nothing happens... However when I press the button to "unlock" I hear the other doors unlock and when I close the barn door a few seconds later I hear the barn door unlock. (even though it already was unlocked - Does yours do this?) so I know the system is partially working on the unlock side.

All the contacts are good and the door frame pin block is new. The barn door locks normally otherwise eg with the remote or other switches provided it is already closed.

If I had a circuit diagram and/or knew where controlling module was I might have some more luck....:)

Any more ideas out there?

DennisG01
09-12-2008, 05:16
I don't have the truck with me at work - I can check tonight or tomorrow.

Does the rear switch work properly if the door is already closed? Both unlock and lock?

noelb
09-12-2008, 17:22
Dennis the rear switch works fine with the door closed. There must be a module somewhere that operates the locks again after the barn door is closed. I am wondering if it has been wired incorrectly as it seem strange that it would operated the locks a second time on "unlock".

Thanks for checking.

bl78ljb
09-13-2008, 21:00
There is a delay in the locking of the rear doors if the switch is pressed with the door open. It is quite long as I can press the lock on mine, close the door and be walking in the garage by the time I hear the rear door lock (if I listen closely). You may not be giving it enough time.

DennisG01
09-14-2008, 14:29
However when I press the button to "unlock" I hear the other doors unlock and when I close the barn door a few seconds later I hear the barn door unlock. (even though it already was unlocked - Does yours do this?)

If I start with the barn door open, then press unlock, then close the door... it does not unlock after the door closes. Nothing happens.

If I press lock (key fob or switch by rear door) the barn door will lock about 5 seconds after closing the door. It didn't matter if I closed the barn door immediately or waited about 15 seconds. The barn door waited about 5 seconds to lock.

Just and FYI: I happened to notice that the time delayed locking has nothing to do with the actual latch being tripped closed. I left the driver's side -- for those of us with the driver's side on the correct, left-hand side of the truck ;) -- open and held the right-hand side closed. It locked after 5 seconds. This may not help you in any way, shape or form. Just thought it was interesting.

noelb
09-15-2008, 04:33
Thanks guys. I tried giving it a week but it still did not lock.:D

Sounds like what I thought. It is somehow wired incorrectly. Just have to work out where it has all gone wrong!

By the sound of it, it should not be unlocking all doors five seconds after closing the barn door but visa versa.:(

Any ideas where the control unit is for this? What does it look like?

diesel65
09-15-2008, 12:56
It should be in the jack compartment.