PDA

View Full Version : extremely rough running - fuel shut off solenoid?

noelb
09-11-2008, 17:16
Clean fuel filter installed and after 8 mile drive stopped for couple of minutes at the shop. Tried to start the engine. It rattled and rocked for ten or more seconds before dieing. Did this numerous times. No reaction to presses on the accelerator.
When I tried to start with full throttle the engine revved ever so slightly before dieing.
Finally after twiddling with the wires in the valley and pushing electrical plugs it started normally.

Does this sound like the "fuel shut off soleniod" and an intermitant electrical connection?:confused:

The only other recent problem I had was when the engine shut of three times in as many miles as I was driving but restarted on the move in neutral. hence the reason for changing the filter.

Have remote mounted new PMD in the last year.

You candid thoughts are most welcome.

Kennedy
09-11-2008, 18:37
I'd look real hard at the wiring that you wiggled, but odds are pretty good it's the FSD. The ESO seems to either work or not with the most common means of failure being leakage.

Hubert
09-12-2008, 03:41
The throttle pedal doesn't really have any input on the electronic engines until stable operation sensed. Then still its fly by wire and if the ECM, FSD, and wiring aren't happy it again really doesn't do anything. It will set a code if the ECM isn't happy with the signal from the throttle pedal and that diagnostic trouble codes system works pretty good. Won't necessarily set a code if its FSD or FSD wiring related. So that's all just normal.

*** The recent stalling and easy recrank with no other drivability issues points to the FSD.***

It could be a loose wire in FSD extension but like Kennedy said probably a failing FSD.

Where and how do you have it mounted?

Assuming the lift pump is working and when you replaced filter air was purged like normal and no fuel delivery issues.

noelb
09-12-2008, 17:14
The PMD is mounted to a reasonable sized heatsink between battery and headlight where the temperature is much more conducive to keeping it working.

It was like there was only a small amount of fuel getting through - just enough to turn the engine over in a body shaking rough low idle. Just enough to keep the crankshaft turning until the next ignition - probably rough enough to break engine mounts...

The last time the PMD failed it was nothing like this. The engine would not even fire up period. Then after pouring water over PMD or waiting for a time it would start.

The symptoms this time are completely different. It fired up to a non responsive rough rotation of the crankshaft.

Does this still sound like PMD, I was almost certain it was the fuel shut off solenoid.

Kennedydiesel do you recommend and sell the DTech PMD?