PDA

View Full Version : swap a 6.2 in for a 454

Robyn
09-11-2008, 21:34
I may be getting a 92 2500 Burb 4x4
Has 454 with 4L80
Really need that like an armload of spare A$$ H&*#s ya know 9 MPG

But I have a nice 86 or so 6.2 sitting in the shop.

Hmmmm the swap would be easy.
Seems that getting the tranny to work ok with the 6.2 would be very easy with the use of the original TPS or possibly the one for the 92 Pickups.

The SES light can be fooled or removed and with a manual glow system this little swap should be easy to do.

The high pressure fuel pump will have to go but thats easy.

Any thoughts on this idea folks.

The truck has 37 inch tires and a 10 inch lift. Not sure whos lift kit but it looks nice. (not a back yard hack for sure)

Best

Robyn

76m880
09-12-2008, 05:53
this thread is worthless without pics!

it sounds like a nice truck

Robyn
09-12-2008, 06:15
Well at this point Pics are not available and its only time for ??? about the feasability of the swap.

Tech stuff ya know

RC

convert2diesel
09-12-2008, 09:59
No problems with physical installation. Basically a bolt in. If you use the stand alone tranny controller, make sure you get the harness as well. Get wiring diagrams for both vehicles as it is very possible that things like the cruise, HVAC and dash may take reference from the ECM. May also have to install a VSS buffer for speedo/cruise to work. TPS from the gasser won't fit. You have to get one from a California 6.2. Uses the same voltage/output but is physically larger. Get an engine speed sensor and wire up one of the tach circuits that is mentioned elsewhere on the board to give the controller an RPM reference (Issapro also makes a pickup that goes on the front damper for about 70 bucks).

Either that or fork over the 800 or so dollars for the TCI controller and then just let the ECM run in full default. Do a redneck CEL delete (drive screwdriver into bulb) and Bob's your uncle.

Good luck

Bill

Robyn
09-14-2008, 17:48
Well the plan is starting to come together.

The 92 Burb may well be coming home to roost.

Now the worm has turned a bit. NEW Plan
Yank the 454 and the 4L80 and sell both $$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

Install the 6.2 beast and a TH 400 I have and be done entirely with the electronic controls.

Manual glow controls.

MMMMM MMMMMM Good Oh yesssssssssssssss just what missy ordered

Stab the SES light with a screwdriver :)

Install a Posilock controler for the front end and things will be just like they used to be many long years ago.

NO ELECTRONICS TO FAIL WHEN YA NEED THE TRUCK MOST OF ALL

The tranny plug can be tapped up good and tied up out of the way as can all the other extra stuff.

The Hot wire (switched) to the distributor will serve well to run the IP and the cold advance and fast idle.

The sending units for the oil pressure, temp and such will all still work fine.

The computer wont know what to do but leaving it wont hurt a thing.

All the rest of the system will work just as before.
There is no real inter connection between the computer and the HVAC and or any of the instruments.

Not sure about getting the tach to work. May have to play with that one.

I dont know if the tach on the gassers is driven off the Alternator like the diesels or otherwise???

I am excited about this truck
Here is the only pix I have of it to date

convert2diesel
09-14-2008, 19:11
If your 454 is throttle body injected, then the hot (red) wire feeding them is live as long as the key is on. Used the ones on the Buick, one for the fuel shut-off and the other through the temp switch and then to the HPCA. Don't think the coil lead is big enough.

The tach is driven from the coil so you will have to build the simple circuit created for Dr. Lee by I think GMCTD. Works great and does a good job with the factory tachs.

Bill

76m880
09-14-2008, 19:59
i looked on my suburban and the IP is Fed from the RED wire and the Ses light somone must have broke because it does not come on, mine was converted from a TBI 350 to a 6.5 TD

In my books the alternator does not drive the tach. its the coil according to the schematic (the wirecolor is white)

edit

By the way, it looks nice

Robyn
09-15-2008, 06:22
The tach being driven off the coil on the gassers sounds about right.
That has been a standard MOA forever.

I will look into the "circuit for the tach drive conversion" and see what I need to do.

This little project may end up a sweet deal when its all done.

Later

RC

ThumperTDC
09-15-2008, 22:02
Before you go an swap the engines, why not see what kind of mileage we can get out of it by building some of those HHO cells I have been talking about. What do ya say?

trbankii
09-16-2008, 04:50
Considering your dually, Humvee wannabee, and now this, I see a certain similar trait to one of my own in having more projects than time! :D

Speaking of which, I think I have to get out to the shop this evening to see what I can move along myself... :rolleyes:

Robyn
09-19-2008, 18:58
The Humvee wanabee is going down the road and this monster is taking its place.

Doing a trade with the 92 Burb and some cash for the Humvee thing.

Hummer has sat now for two summers and I never seem to have the time to really get back into it.

Tony
The issue with the Burb is to totally be shed of the electronics.
I want the 6.2 with a DB2 pump and the TH400 tranny.
NO ELECTRONICS and then a Posilock front axle engagement device to fully get this old horse up to where I believe a 4x4 should be..

As the rigs get older its not if the electronics will fail, just when.
You can be sure that it wont be in a handy place for sure.

The 6.2 should be able to wrangle around 20+ MPG easily with the Burb and have equipment that can be relied upon to work with minimal issue.

Here are a few pix I got today.

Need a ladder to get in that monster