PDA

View Full Version : HOT! - Light Switch & Wires

HH
09-12-2008, 18:34
The light switch and wires in the K3500 are getting very hot. I blew out one switch due to it melting internally. Any ideas? The leads and plug (by the previous owner) has been replaced, I am thinking about replacing it again.

a5150nut
09-12-2008, 19:06
Take the load off the switch and use it to trigger relays that Cary the load. These light switches aren't the best and if your running lots of marker / trailer lights, it's getting over loaded. :D

jeffscarstrucks
09-30-2008, 14:06
I switched my trailer lights to LEDs and it helped (reduced load as above). JEFF

More Power
09-30-2008, 14:35
The light switch and wires in the K3500 are getting very hot. I blew out one switch due to it melting internally. Any ideas? The leads and plug (by the previous owner) has been replaced, I am thinking about replacing it again.

If you can do it safely, use the thumbwheel on the light switch to turn off the interior dash lights - as a test. These switches use a resistive device to dim the lights. Passing electrical current through a resistor produces heat. That's where most of the heat comes from in a light switch.

Then, rotate the thumbwheel all the way in the other direction to make the interior lights full brightness. This should also reduce the heat felt at the light switch, because the resistive element is not dropping the voltage.

It's the in-between settings that produce more heat.

Jim