PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case fix

Gapper_ca
09-13-2008, 07:53
ok the other day i finally got around to replacing the front and rear out seals on the transfer case. i also decided to install the KD transfer case upgrade for the pump. now no where did i read that this was to be a 6 hour job requiring 2 men and a small child. do GM engineers ever actually do any work on what they design???? So anyhow it went along quite well. was very glad to pull the T-case aprt as it was very dirty. magnet was full. cleanned it all up, all was ok. install of pump wear plate was a snap. hardest part was putting the case back together. got the special seal driver for the front seal. all buttuned up and installed. everying went back together nicely. took it out for a drive. all worked very well. used to leak out the seals some an i figured that i was getting some water in thru them as well when washed . now nice and clean, dry . pump wear clip showed no wear in it or the case. now just have to get and install a deep trans pan. hope that is a little easier....

More Power
09-17-2008, 15:47
6 hours??? I guess I was lucky in that a friend owns a drivetrain shop with a lift. It took us about an hour to an hour and a half to R&R and install the parts. But, he's a professional and I lent a hand in between taking photos... The two of us wrestled it out and then back in pretty easily, but I've done that by myself on a creeper before for other projects, so it is possible to do it all by yourself.

I'm glad yours didn't show any wear. I suspect most might not, but the peace of mind in knowing it's fixed for good is worth it.

Jim

KrazyNate
09-28-2008, 09:04
I just did the quick fix on mine yesterday as the "pinhole" had developed, right where I heard it would.. Slapped some JB weld on 'er, waited about 6 hours and layerd hi temp silly cone on it too.. Only drove around town so far, no leakage.. We'll see though, I havent worked it yet.. Gonna likely have to do the rear case half sooner or later.. :(
Do you guys know these pin holes from the oil filter clips where in the other indexs, or just the lower right rear that is common?

Thanks

lb7lbz
09-28-2008, 14:46
i think you are asking if that is the only spot it will wear through and if so the answer is no. r/r'd one on my truck then had another one pop up 20k or so later.

KrazyNate
09-29-2008, 09:28
Do you guys know these pin holes from the oil filter clips where in the other indexs, or just the lower right rear that is common?

Thanks

Dang, suppose I should have proof read that mess... :D
What I was trying to say was, since the piece that wears the pin hole has four index points in the T case, can I expect it to spring new leaks in the other areas where the clip seats in the T case?

Man, Im a spaz

Ooo, answered already.. Thanks guys