PDA

View Full Version : Crickets and smoke

bigtallguy
10-19-2003, 20:08
Everytime I turn on the air or heat, it sounds like there are crickets in my truck. I think it might be the fan, but not sure what to do about it. Any quick (and cheap) fixes? Also, I was in a hurry the other day and I floored it, and when the rpms got up above 2500, a lot of black smoke poured out the back. I backed off from then on out but is there a way to prevent that or is it just what happens at those rpms? Thanks for the help.

moondoggie
10-20-2003, 04:05
Good Day!

Crickets: probably your blower motor - very common.

Smoke: We need to know a little about what vehicle you're asking this about. Most of us somehow or another make sure to include vehicle data in all our posts. Then you don't have to remember to do this when you request help.

Basically, black smoke generally means insufficient air. It would be REALLY helpful to rig up, even temporarily, a boost gauge. I drilled & tapped a fitting into the aluminum part that bolts to the top of the intake manifold & connects to the turbo. Then I hook a piece of tubing between it & an old pressure/vacuum gauge I had laying around.

Obviously, check your air filter. We'll have lots more help when we know what vehicle you're having this trouble with.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

'82 6.2 1500 4X4 1/2T pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, bone stock, 335K+, "In Rust We Trust"
'89 6.2 4X4 1/2T pickup, bone stock, 146K+
'95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 heavy 3/4T pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, 185K +
'95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, 200K +

bigtallguy
10-20-2003, 12:15
My bad. It's a '95 1500 with about 199k on it. The engine is newer with about 35k miles. Don't know of any mods. The ses light came on a few weeks ago (codes were 32 33 and 78) but I reset the codes and it hasn't happened since. Oh, how do I get rid of those crickets anyway? Thanks.

Kidd
10-20-2003, 17:45
Pull your blower motor, might be something in the housing. (Penny in mine) Or, you might need new blower motor.

K.D.

goodmonkey
10-21-2003, 19:53
My 95 too will at times make an aweful racket with the blower motor, then go away just as misteriously as it started. As for the black smoke, I noticed a lot more smoke at higher rpms and a little less power when my vacuum pump started to die. Easy to test with a vacuum gauge. The pump did finally lock up on me which required me to replace it, but from then on I haven't had a lot of smoke unless I really work it hard. Remember the vacuum is needed to power the wastegate, if yours is a turbo.