PDA

View Full Version : Another mind warp (for me!) question?

tankertoad
09-15-2008, 14:25
After swapping engine from '94 Burb to '97 dually I had terrible white smoke at all times. Wouldn't clear, decided to change injection pump and upon tear down discovered that helper had misaligned injection pump timing gear to a questionable mark? on drive gear! Put it together again last night and it cranked & fired right now. No smoke at all! It ran great for about five minutes and then shut down. This morning after repairing some wires someone routed too close to exhaust attempted start and wouldn't fire. Tried bleeding fuel filter several times, have no bubbles, cracked a couple of injector lines and no trace of fuel.How long does it take to get fuel to injectors? I think last night it was running on residual fuel in lines after injectior pump change. It was running with this pump before swap was started. Sorry for long post, but I'm still short on c4. My son is questioning lift pump, how do you check to see if output is sufficient?

More Power
09-17-2008, 00:29
First, make sure the fuel shut-off solenoid is functioning. You should be able to hear it clunk, or feel it activate with your hand wrapped around the solenoid.

Assuming the shut-off sol is OK, crack more of the injector fuel lines, and then crank in 20 second intervals with a 2-3 minute cooldown period between cranking sessions. If no fuel at the injectors for another 3-4 cranking sessions, tighten all but two of the injector fuel lines, remove the front/center intake plenum bolt, then dribble in a teaspoon of clean diesel fuel through the bolt hole.

The raw diesel will find its way into 2-3 or more cylinders, where it will allow those cyls to fire during the next cranking session. It won't run on that fuel, but the engine will spin a bit faster with the help from those few cyls. Then, continue with the crank/cool sessions. In the worst 6.5 cases I've been involved with, 2-3 raw fuel sessions (1 teaspoon at a time), the air worked its way out after 2-3 more cranking sessions. Once it begins hitting on more cylinders, tighten the remaining fuel injector lines. It'll likely begin running the next time.

This trick got me out of the woods once where I airlocked my 6.2L fuel injection system while 4-wheeling at steep angles with a half tank of fuel, and air was drawn into the fuel injection pump. I also didn't have any tools with me, but I did have a couple of really good batteries, a good starter and a siphon hose. This saved a long walk home....

Jim

TAG
09-17-2008, 07:55
Did those wires that melted on the exhaust blow a fuse somewhere?

tankertoad
09-17-2008, 10:51
Got it started and it runs great! No smoke! Smooth! Backed it out of the shop to test drive, coasted down the long downhill driveway to the highway and pulled out and immediately began pouring out massive white smoke! No need for the county to fog for mosquitos this month. Really thick smoke. Threw code 1214 again. I think I need to adjust inj. pump to pax side for leaner mixture? Thanks for all the assistance guys! John.