PDA

View Full Version : GM eyes selling truck business to Isuzu

jbplock
09-19-2008, 09:49
GM 'eyes selling truck business to Japan's Isuzu'

" TOKYO (AFP) - Struggling General Motors Corp. is talking to Isuzu Motors about selling its truck business,
in what would mark the first Japanese takeover of a business from the US Big Three, a report said Friday."

"GM is also believed to be considering selling part of stake in DMAX Ltd., an existing joint venture with
Isuzu making diesel engines, so that the Japanese company's share would rise from 40 to 50 percent, the report said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080919/ts_alt_afp/japanusautocompanygmisuzu;_ylt=AjOo2PWERt30fwgsp62 6YPqyBhIF

More Power
09-19-2008, 11:37
Thanks for the link!

There seems to be some ambiguity in the story. GM did sell its medium-duty truck lines a while back, but there hasn't been any rumors that I've heard about its light-truck lines. Might be, I dont know.

I do know that for most of the past two decades, the light-truck platform is where most of GM's profit has been. This includes light trucks as well as SUV's built on the light truck platform.

The recent GM news about its 2010 6.9L Duramax has been circulating for a while. This new engine, aside from gaining cubic inches, also gains in power and torque - up to 700 lb-ft, or so I've read. It's also getting urea injection to reduce NOx.

I suspect growing the engine allows for the engine to meet the emissions regs a little easier. The Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions regulations call for essentially "no emissions".

Personally, I've felt for a long time that GM was missing the boat by not concentrating on fuel economy more so than power. In today's economic and petroleum markets, fuel economy plays bigger than power/tq. GM has long needed to forgo the power competition and begin offering class leading fuel economy - or rather fuel economy in a class by itself. Being the leader in fuel economy would sell more trucks and SUVs than having the most power. Just my opinion....

Jim

JoeyD
09-20-2008, 18:02
I think GM's deal to sell the med dutys fell through.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
09-23-2008, 20:32
Having read the post, I went to the almighty alter of google and checked it out. Found one forum in which a GM Tech claimed to have checked out a D-Max 6.9 twin turbo with the Allison.
The rest that I read was claims of 425hp/700+tq and a 8 speed tranny???
If the above was true, my next truck would be that one. :D

ToddMeister
09-24-2008, 12:06
I think GM's deal to sell the med dutys fell through.

You are correct, it did fall through.