PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline to Diesel Conversions

gerritk
09-19-2008, 12:41
Hi, everyone,

I have a 1989 C1500 Silverado with a 305 gasoline engine. I also have a 1986 C20 Suburban with a 6.2L diesel. The sub is a pure beater but the truck is in excellent condition. I'd like to convert the truck to diesel. Actually doing the swap is not that big of an issue for me. What does concern me is that I live in the Houston metro area and we have emissions checks here. I have researched this to the best of my ability and I get very conflictng answers depending on what government agency you're talkng to, but in general it seems that engine swapping is legal as long as you maintain the emissions equipment the vehicle came with. In the case of my 1/2 ton 5.0 liter gasoline engine, it came with EGR, catalytic converter, evaporative emissions canister and a PCV. There is no A.I.R. pump system. So, with that said, there is no reason that my 6.2 conversion could not have EGR (I'd have to replace the intake manifold since the 3/4 ton did not have EGR, but that's no problem) a catalytic converter (like the DOC on my '99 6.5L sub) the PCV the 6.2 came with and if they like I can keep the evap canister even though it will never draw a breath of diesel fumes. Fuel tank and lift pump issues can be handled as well.

I'd like to know if anyone in my area has done something like this before and what their experiences at the inspection station have been.

Thanks

More Power
09-19-2008, 13:06
The EPA specifies that one cannot install a "heavy-duty" diesel engine in a "light-duty" vehicle. In general, a 1/2-ton is a light-duty and a 3/4-ton is a heavy-duty. In addition, the EPA specifies that you cannot install an older engine in a newer vehicle.

That said, your state's emissions regulations and their interpretation by your local emissions testing station are the ultimate arbiter for what is permissible and what isn't.

To learn more about Texas emissions regulations pertaining to engine swaps, visit: http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/air/ms/vim.html (http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/air/ms/vim.html)

I tried the link a few minutes ago, and it was offline. This could be because of the hurricane.... I dunno.

Jim