PDA

View Full Version : where to start new status with video

85-m1028
09-24-2008, 19:29
Well it ran but a whole lot of smoke. The third time I started it, it would idle on its own but lots of smoke.

Now it just cranks and cranks no smoke, no start stutter or anything. I checked the fuses, glow plugs and it all checks out.

video of the first start.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q218/85-m1028/th_injectionpump001.jpg (http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q218/85-m1028/?action=view&current=injectionpump001.flv)

More Power
09-24-2008, 23:18
Was any sort of engine, fuel injection system, electrical work performed just prior to the problems?

Jim

85-m1028
09-25-2008, 07:36
The only thing I did prior was work out the leaks in the waste gate vac system and replace the controller with a new one from the dealership.

I will check the shut off solenoid and lift pump this morning.

The fuel tank had been dropped and cleaned about 10,000 miles prior and I just recently changed the fuel filter "it was very dirty!!"

More Power
09-25-2008, 10:01
So, it just started doing this on its own without any warning... Begin at the beginning with your troubleshooting. The article on solving a stalling problem would be a good place to begin because it lists the basics.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm

Jim

85-m1028
09-25-2008, 10:20
just submitted my renewal, I will read up when I get a new password.

both the lift pump and shut off solenoid checked out...

85-m1028
09-25-2008, 15:03
ok I went through the check list and everything checked out? so then it's most likely a pmd? how quickly do these things fail? my injection pump was replaced 30,000 miles ago.. and the comptuter isn't throwing any codes..

DmaxMaverick
09-25-2008, 15:18
I'd start searching for an air leak or a fuel supply restriction. If your lift pump is working when it should, a leak will be between the lift pump and the tank sender (or you'd have an external fuel leak). Or, you're out of fuel.

john8662
09-25-2008, 16:20
out of time, time to pull the front cover, as per your last incident I recon.

85-m1028
09-25-2008, 18:10
ok the check engine light stayed on finaly and this is what she said

p0370

p0380

p1656

p0251

I looked up the code definitions and I really dont understand what it all means

85-m1028
09-25-2008, 18:13
I'd start searching for an air leak or a fuel supply restriction. If your lift pump is working when it should, a leak will be between the lift pump and the tank sender (or you'd have an external fuel leak). Or, you're out of fuel.

I stuck the bleed off hose in a 1 pint water bottle opened the bleeder valve and it filled the bottle in less than 20 seconds.

Robyn
09-26-2008, 07:09
Be sure to check all engine grounds to be sure they are clean and tight.
Also check the supply line from the battery to the main power bus.
Poor grounds and low voltage will drive these things nuts.

After looking at the codes you posted I am suspect that the IP may have given up.

How many miles on the IP???
Codes 307 and 308 are cylinder 7 and 8 misfire
Code 1656 is a wastegate fault and wont contribute to the white smoke
Code 0251 is in reference to internal pump components and may indicate that the IP has died.

You can try a fresh PMD and see if it corrects the issue but I am inclined to believe that the pump is used up.

If you have to remove the IP, be sure and mark it with a scribe mark up top by the flange before removing it.
A nice sharp straight line will allow you to get the pump back on and runable after its rebuilt.

Keep us posted

Robyn

85-m1028
09-26-2008, 08:46
Be sure to check all engine grounds to be sure they are clean and tight.
Also check the supply line from the battery to the main power bus.
Poor grounds and low voltage will drive these things nuts.

After looking at the codes you posted I am suspect that the IP may have given up.

How many miles on the IP???
Codes 307 and 308 are cylinder 7 and 8 misfire
Code 1656 is a wastegate fault and wont contribute to the white smoke
Code 0251 is in reference to internal pump components and may indicate that the IP has died.

You can try a fresh PMD and see if it corrects the issue but I am inclined to believe that the pump is used up.

If you have to remove the IP, be sure and mark it with a scribe mark up top by the flange before removing it.
A nice sharp straight line will allow you to get the pump back on and runable after its rebuilt.

Keep us posted

Robyn

I have another injection pump from my project truck "see sig" it is electronic ds4 too, could I use that? It's pretty much brand new. I'm not sure where to line the pump up, when I tore into the top originaly I found no nuts holding it in place!!

I bolted it back up and started the truck "that's the video at the begining". most of the ground connections appear to have new terminal ends and are tight and clean.

Robyn
09-26-2008, 19:03
If you carefully measure the case on the original pump and get some good reference point and then install the " New Pump" it should be close enough to run.
To work properly it will have to be timed using a tech tool.

Best

Robyn

85-m1028
09-26-2008, 22:37
one more thing, the codes you posted 307 and 308 are actualy 380 and 370

the actron scanner website list the following
-p0380 = Glow Plug/Heater CKT A Malfunction

-p0370 = Timing Reference High Res Signal A Malfunction

-p0251 = Injection Pump Metering Control A

-p1656 = Wastegate Solenoid Circuit "this code can't be erased by the scanner I have"

does that seem sort of all over the place?? I did read the article concerning the p0251 code and it did say it could be caused by air bubbles.

I did also recently put in two new batteries "auto light 96 series" and cleaned the batt terminals. I'm just baffled that it was running great! and getting 14-15 mpg consistently?? and then one morning bam...

I had one hell of a time getting the injection pump all disconnected "spent nearly 2hrs trying to get the #8 line off the injector and took a saws all to it"

I am genuinely affraid that if I put in this new pump and it doesn't work I may litteraly empty a 10 round clip of .40 cals into it and push it off a cliff!!!

Ps. thank you everyone for the replies!!

signed "no likey the electronic fuel system" :)

More Power
09-26-2008, 22:52
Generally, seeing a series of unrelated codes usually means there's an electrical problem of some sort or there might be a problem with the PCM.

Sometimes evaluating the point at which the problems began can provide a direction for troubleshooting - like recent service work, a deep water episode, an unrelated electrical problem, an experiment with alternative fuel, and so on.

Jim

85-m1028
09-27-2008, 10:27
oyyy electrical, fun stuff. The tack has never worked since I bought it. It would go to 1000rpm mark but never moved. Then it just stopped all together.

The windsheild wipers never worked right, they seem to have a mind of their own. They actualy are sitting half way up because thats where they decided to stop?? you can turn on the switch and they might go they might not..

Recent work "within the last few thousand miles"

-oil and filter

-fuel filter

-new bateries "they were old and just needed to be replaced"

-fixed vac leaks for waste gate

-cleaned air filter

I only use good ol #2 diesel, and no water play for me this is strictly my work truck...

85-m1028
09-27-2008, 16:10
Ok I found the pin that holds the drive flange of the injection pump in place had sheared off. Instead of turning the injection pump it was just spinning in place!!

looks like the nut that holds it on had backed out!! So many loose nuts on this truck it's making me nuts!!!

Do I just get a new pin and reinstall it?? Who would be the best company to get this from? I need a new injector line too...