PDA

View Full Version : ground question

polejockey65
09-25-2008, 03:44
Hello to all again,
a while back ago i changed out my exhaust. that's another story in itself. But anyway i found a ground off when i took off the passanger side wheel well apart for access to install Kennedy's glow plugs and the exhaust. when it was all apart, i found a ground off and the bolt broken
My question is.
I decided to install some extra grounds since the bolt was broken on the old one.
i put one from the engine to the mount on the drivers side where i mounted kennedy's fsd years ago. then ran one to the frame of the truck.
Now or since then i get a seat belt light, cruise doesn't work and radiator light. do i need to take them back off??
Thanks

DmaxMaverick
09-25-2008, 08:55
Can you describe ALL the grounds you have? From and to? If they are not routed properly, you could have a circuit grounding through some electronics.

Hubert
09-25-2008, 09:05
Theoretically you can't have too many grounds (at least if they are all the same). But the path of least resistance is the path the current will take. So if you added a new better ground it MAY have created a path of lesser resistance and caused issue with the factory path. Check the ground at right rear of engine to firewall. You may be having issue with cab body having a good ground. And those may be lower power ie voltage and/or current devices that show up as the problem. On edit its like what Dmax said. You probably exposed a bad ground or created a short cut for ground current and are causing current to flow through the wrong things. And assuming you don't have a short somewhere running to ground through those electrical devices.

I just heard a story of a weak ground causing current to travel through the rear main bearing on a small Kubota diesel and it caused premature bearing failure. As an example of the current taking the less desired path to/from the battery

polejockey65
09-28-2008, 16:52
Sorry, i just can't get to the computor with the kids at home.
First on the Kennedy's web site is how i mounted the Fsd and cooler drivers side wheel well. with that said on the drivers front of the engine i added a nut to the intake bolt next to the one that has grounds on it already, i went from there to first bolt on the bracket the holds the fsd and cooler. on the otherside of the cooler, i used the other mounting bolt to the frame bolt by the drivers side inner side of the tire. the copper was free so it is a very fine strand of 1/0 cu. larger than i need i know but the price was right.. if doesn't make sence i can get one of my teenagers to take a pic or two and post them let me know.
Brian