PDA

View Full Version : Help please! Not getting fuel

lmholmes11
09-26-2008, 11:35
I changed my fuel filter today and now with it installed, i am trying to prime it and it is not getting any fuel...any suggestions?

lmholmes11
09-26-2008, 12:21
i also need to add that I ran out of fuel right in my driveway, and i tried to start it after it died , so i think I have air somewhere it is not supposed to be! I tried to prime the filter with the air bleed valve both in and out, still no luck. Also, after i changed the fuel filter i tried to start it before i got the air bled out....

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2008, 15:16
Pump the primer til you can't. It may take a while, but it should prime. The engine may start, then die. Repeat until it stays running.

lmholmes11
09-26-2008, 16:05
Thanks for the reply DMAX, i was hoping you would reply haha.

I did take the hose off (recieving) the fuel filter and while priming i put my finger in the hole and I didnt feel any suction at all. Should i pump with the air bleed screw tight or loose? Also, should i put fuel inside the filter and THEN screw it on?

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2008, 16:24
DO NOT prefill the filter. These aren't "old school" Diesels. You risk getting "dirty" (unfiltered) fuel in the clean side of the filter. The primer will get it done. While not required, you can use the top bleeder to help expedite the process, but don't pump with it open. What I do is (I have a valve in place of the bleeder screw, but it works the same), pump it 20-30 times, then loosen the bleeder to relieve the "air" pressure, tighten it, then repeat. If you pump 20-30 times and don't get air escaping, you are not getting fuel up to the primer and filter assy. Either there is not enough fuel in the tank (more fuel in the tank is easier priming), or the primer is not functioning (very unlikely).

You have a couple "short-cut" options here. Install an electric pump system, but it isn't a quick fix, and is expensive. Or, use LOW pressure (~5 PSI) shop air to pressurize the fuel tank, through the filler. If you use shop air, be sure to have a second person watch the bleeder, and be ready to tighten it as soon as fuel is present (remove the air pressure immediately). Once fuel is at the bleeder, pump it up hard and the engine should start.

Depending on how much fuel you have in the tank, using the primer pump could be a LOT of pumping. If you ran it out of fuel, and the front of the truck is downhill, you have to add a lot of fuel to get the level to the fuel pickup. At least 5 gallons, maybe more, depending on the incline. If you added only 1 or 2 gallons, your situation wouldn't be a surprise. In any case, if there is enough fuel in the tank, the primer will pump up.

lmholmes11
09-26-2008, 16:38
From what you were saying i would have to say that the pump is not working right. I pumped it at least 50 times, and after I would open the bleed screw and no air would escape. I went to the station and got some diesel earlier today, the tank right now is a little above half tank. I'm guessing i'll be better off topping off the tank? That makes sence, since thats a pretty big tank and if its half empty, thats all the more air i need to pump in there to get fuel coming back at me. Last time i changed the filter the primer worked just fine. Ill see what happens with filling the tank all the way up

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2008, 17:10
Your primer may not be working. It is very rare, but it does happen. If you have 1/2 tank of fuel, it should be working.

At this time, I suggest R/R of the filter. Verify it is installed correctly, and the O-ring didn't sneak out on you. You may have better luck reusing the old O-ring, as it will probably stay in the groove easier, if you are having an issue with the new one. I don't suggest reusing it indefinitely, but once or twice is OK if it is in good shape. And, use some dielectric or axle grease in the O-ring groove, and lube the O-ring with it. The thick grease will facilitate a good seal. Also, verify the center grommet seal is in place, and you don't have 2 of them in there (the grommet should have came out with the old filter).

lmholmes11
09-26-2008, 17:36
ok i will see what i can do tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

lmholmes11
09-27-2008, 06:55
this morning I went out and gave it another try. I topped off the tank so it is now full. I can hear air coming out of the air bleed screw on top of the filter housing, so thats a good sign. I had the gas tank cap CLOSED, the air bleed screw closed, no leaks at filter, and i'm still not getting any fuel to the filter. So far iv'e pumped at least 200 times. hmmm.

Am i doing something wrong?

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2008, 07:27
It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. It should work, especially since you are able to bleed some air. Try it with the fuel filler cap off. Maybe the vent in the cap is sticky? I don't know. 200 pumps after running out of fuel and changing the filter isn't outrageous. Maybe it needs 210? I don't usually count, but some of the times I've done it, easily could have been more than that. The fuel supply system is quite large, compared to previous, and other trucks. Not having a lift pump doesn't help, and the tubing and hose size is considerable. If you have a vacuum pump, you could suck fuel up to the filter by either the bleeder, or by removing a fuel line. Or even with a shop vac (not a vacuum cleaner), but that has inherent dangers if a person was careless. At any rate, it shouldn't be this difficult.

I suggest doing it again, and again. If you can get air to escape after pumping, it will work, eventually. Try 50-75 pumps between bleeding with the screw. And another note, use a nut driver or socket on the bleeder, not a screwdriver. The plastic isn't very forgiving. Don't overtighten it (it has an O-ring seal).

Duramaster
09-27-2008, 11:08
I have had a primer pump quit on me and insted of replacing it, I took it apart. You just need a couple different size TORX screwdrivers. Whne I took it apart, I found some debris stuck between one of the check valves and its seat. You cannot remove the valve, but you can gently lift the vale and flush the debris out of it. Then just reassemble and lube the primer pump O ring and all should be good. If you decide to replace the primer assembly, take a big wallet! They cost over $600 !!!! :eek:

lmholmes11
09-29-2008, 19:35
Just thought i'd give everyone an update on my fuel filter issue. I finally just took it to the local dealership and they took a look at it, and after "a hell of a lot of priming" they got it running and the truck started right up. After i wasn't getting suction I DID replace a cracked hose running from the inlet of the fuel filter housing assembly going to the fuel rail, and they said since i did that, that had an effect on the air issue. They said it COULD be the fuel filter housing, but since it isn't under warranty, and it costs around $500, ill just see what happens, After all, before i took the fuel filter off and replaced it, the truck was running fine, so see no reason why it wouldn't hold a prime. Thanks DMAX for all of the help, and also to the rest of you.