PDA

View Full Version : Leveling kit????

lmholmes11
09-29-2008, 19:51
Hey everyone, I have a 2001 DMax and like most all others, the front end sags a little bit lower than the rear. Since I am not really hauling or towing anything extremely heavy i am considering buying a leveling kit and having it installed. Any suggestions on what brands to look at, ( ive heard good things about Pro Comp)? Or if anyone has put one in, do you like it? Let me know! Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
09-29-2008, 21:21
Craftsman.

If all you are wanting to do is "level" the front with the rear, turn up the torsion bars, have it aligned, and don't look back. The end result will be the same as any "leveling" kit. About 3-4 turns should be enough. Drive it between adjustments to settle the springs.

Note:
If you get the front level with the rear while empty, you'll be a bird watcher with a sack of potatoes in the bed. It is pretty soft at the top, and doesn't take much to drop that first inch. Leave the front low a little if you plan on a tow/haul.

lmholmes11
09-30-2008, 07:34
ok thanks for the input, i've read that all you have to do is adjust the torsion bars but i heard that effects the ride of the truck?

Kennedy
09-30-2008, 08:31
Yes, more preload will make the ride more firm, but that's the price you'll pay for raising the front. Remove the weight from the wheel in question before adjusting. Count the turns and you can always go back...

DmaxMaverick
09-30-2008, 09:47
ok thanks for the input, i've read that all you have to do is adjust the torsion bars but i heard that effects the ride of the truck?

As John said, that's the nature of the beast. You could install a lift kit ($$) that maintains the geometry of the suspension to retain some of the soft(er) ride, but that solution has its own inherited caveats. A lift kit uninstall is nearly as costly as the install. Turning and un-turning the torsion bar bolts is free. Be sure to have it aligned if you do more than 1 or 2 turns. Very important.

The ride won't be too different if you don't try to raise it any more than necessary. Good shocks (Bilstein) go a long way to improve the ride and control.

lmholmes11
10-01-2008, 13:05
ok thanks for the information guys, ill see what i can do!

Kennedy
10-27-2008, 08:17
Remember, the higher you go the more wind you fight and this can and definitely does impact MPG.

dually2002
10-28-2008, 06:27
What kind of shape is your front shocks in? Factory shocks or replacement Delco shocks good for maybe 30K. Have Bilstien(spelling) on all 4 cornors of my truck----major improvement. Shocks are factors in ride height.

SuperPRO56
12-09-2008, 19:46
Where can you pick up a set of the Bilsteins and how much was the set? I have had a little bit of experience with them, but it was strictly aftermarket racing tuned shocks for a late model. Maybe after that install I can do some spectator drags with the 3/4 ton :D

DmaxMaverick
12-09-2008, 21:02
Where can you pick up a set of the Bilsteins and how much was the set? I have had a little bit of experience with them, but it was strictly aftermarket racing tuned shocks for a late model. Maybe after that install I can do some spectator drags with the 3/4 ton :D

I bought my set from Kennedy (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) a couple years ago. They were $65 each, with free shipping for a set of 4. I haven't checked his price/deal lately.

You can make that Chevy go stupid fast, but you'll need a little more than shocks.

speeddrive1
12-31-2008, 14:57
What kind of shape is your front shocks in? Factory shocks or replacement Delco shocks good for maybe 30K. Have Bilstien(spelling) on all 4 cornors of my truck----major improvement. Shocks are factors in ride height.

Shocks don't support the weight unless they are coil over shocks.

spongebob
01-08-2009, 19:38
You can make that Chevy go stupid fast, but you'll need a little more than shocks.

*hommer's voice*.."hmmmm stupid fast"..