PDA

View Full Version : Swapping engines- what have I missed?

Chief919
09-30-2008, 07:20
The engine in my 94 finally gave up and decieded to start mixing oil and coolant.

It is being replaced with a nice low mileage surplus GEP HMMWV take-out, and while I do this I want to replace anything else that may be a problem that is easier to get to now. So far on my list:

Water Pump
Fan clutch
all fuel lines
oil cooler lines and fittings
all sensors
all gaskets
all radiator hoses
glow plugs
starter (old one was starting to act funny)
vacum pump (was starting to get weak)
belt
belt tensioner
thermostat

The engine has a recent IP and PMD, new turbo, etc.

Am I missing anything?

diesel65
09-30-2008, 17:16
motor mounts, glow plug relay, you didn't mention injectors, return lines and the two end caps.

JetBoater
09-30-2008, 19:57
Use new bolts on everything... stainless steel if they are easily available.

I would check your flexplate if you run an automatic... it wears in 3 specific spots. You may as well start with a new one if you get a new starter.

Use new starter bolts from your local GoodWrench dealer, and ensure you attach the end bracket for support on the starter. Diesels are high torque, and put a lot of stress on the starter.

New glow plugs are pretty cheap.

Ford TA-31 Grey RTV Silicone in the half cartridge worked great on gasketing when I did my motor... its pretty viscous, but hardens firm and holds up well.

Good luck with the swap ;)!

rhsub
09-30-2008, 20:47
If you have an auto trans
remove and drain torque converter, replace torq seal and O-ring, replace trans filter, flush out cooler lines and cooler
Ron

More Power
10-02-2008, 12:49
If the new engine was originally a 6.5 TD, your existing intake manifold won't fit. AMG used a different intake that bolted on differently. If the engine was a non-turbo, it should work fine.

Jim

Hubert
10-09-2008, 14:15
Probably what you already planning but radiator clean up flush out. General engine bay maintenance: have some hi-temp electrical tape and some insulation ready to fix any wire looming and or wiring that may have gotten hot under turbo and near starter.

rustyk
10-09-2008, 19:08
If the new engine was originally a 6.5 TD, your existing intake manifold won't fit. AMG used a different intake that bolted on differently. If the engine was a non-turbo, it should work fine.

Jim

The intake manifold on my '92-vintage 6.5TD bolted on nicely to the new '06-'07 Peninsular/AMG 6.5TD...

Hubert
10-09-2008, 19:37
I think Jim meant the difference in GEP HMMWV TD 6.5 and a truck TD. As in the head angles for center mount turbo vs side mount (HMMWV or Van vs truck) Not necessarily a difference GEP/AMG vs GM.