PDA

View Full Version : 700-r4

6.5 Detroit Diesel
09-30-2008, 10:15
So, we have a 1983 6.2 2 wheel with the SM465 backing it. We are looking at a 1992 1500 with no engine. The tranny, ( a 700-R4), has been built for to handle the power of the previous gasser, a Stroker 383. We are thinking of dropping the 6.2 into the 92'. Will it bolt up to the tranny?

DmaxMaverick
09-30-2008, 10:33
It will bolt up. No problem with that at all.

You will need the TV cable and bracket (or modify it to fit, if they're still there), Diesel governor and torque converter.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
09-30-2008, 16:31
Ya, I had already thought about the TC, might have some interesting shifts otherwise. There is a couple of older 6.2 with auto's at the wreckers, I should be able to pull the tv cable from those right? And what do you mean by diesel governor?:confused:

Robyn
09-30-2008, 17:18
The governor sits inside the round cap on the LH side towards the rear of the tranny.
This is a flyweight type governor with a plastic drive gear.
Carefully pry the cover off and slide the governor out and insert the new diesel governor.

The diesel shifts at a little less RPM's so this is the reason.

Real Simple.

best

Robyn

6.5 Detroit Diesel
10-01-2008, 09:46
I have seen that little piece on a few of the tranny's we have pulled, now I know. Thanks again.

DmaxMaverick
10-01-2008, 10:24
Regarding the TV cable.....

Your vehicle, if previously equipped with a 700R4, would have had one, gas or Diesel. If it is still there, the only thing you need to do is get the correct bracket, or modify/fab one to fit the 6.2 and IP throttle linkage. The function is the same, between the gas and Diesel engines. It is only a means of transmitting throttle (peddle) position to the transmission throttle valve (TV). If not installed and adjusted correctly, it will have some interesting shifts, and can cause serious damage to the tranny.

arveetek
10-01-2008, 13:35
You'll want to change the TV cable itself too. The gasser cables will snap right in and look right, but it won't function properly, because the cables are different lengths from where they attach to the bracket and to the IP/Throttle Body. I had to modify the gasser cable I used because it was too long. After attaching it the bracket, it was too long to where it attached to the rod going to the injection pump, and by the time the IP was at full "throttle", the cable was just starting to move in the tranny, even with the cable adjusted as far back as it would go.

Casey