PDA

View Full Version : How too & Tools needed for R&R Harmonic Balance (bolt thread size?)

bdv
09-01-2005, 09:20
Going to be replacing timing belt so will due Harmonic balancer and pulley replacement along with the 97 high capacity water pump.

To get the pulley and Harmonic balancer off I have a large two hooked finger gear puller will this work? Have read post saying that I need to have a Harmonic Balancer Installer. Have seen some advertised but don’t know if they will fit. Does anyone know the thread size for the bolt (or is it bolts) on the damper. Can I use a long threaded bolt(s) with nut(s) and washer(s) to push Harmonic balancer back on? I am assuming that the pully will just come off with a standard puller is this right?

Thanks for the help Brent.

kevin77
09-01-2005, 09:30
I replaced my balancer and all I did was this:

Remove top exhaust cover/Cawl(sp?)
remove water pump fan
took off crank pully
removed bolt from harmonic balancer

Try to figure out way of removing without buying damper puller.

After 20 minutes, addmitted defeat, Drove down to NAPA and bought damper puller (I think it was between $25 and $30)

Had damper off in 5 minutes.

Kevin

john8662
09-01-2005, 09:34
To get the Harmonic Balancer off you'll need a harmonic balancer puller, it's a duck-foot looking piece with a threaded bolt that pushes the balancer off the crankshaft.

It looks like this:

Harmonic balancer puller (http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/www/truck/ipstudgears/01/800x600/P1010018-800.jpg)

You'll then have to make a tool like this:

H.B. Install Tool (http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/www/truck/ipstudgears/01/800x600/P1070040-800.jpg)

The homemade tool, which I learned to make from this page, consists of a crank bolt, crank washer, and a piece of all thread and some nuts. You might also skip buying another crank washer it you get some fender washers to protect the original one while you use it to pull the balancer back on the crank.

And during assembly, don't forget that you have to torque the crank bolt to 200 ft. lbs. ! And while you're there, install a new front main seal, it's pretty easy.

DmaxMaverick
09-01-2005, 09:40
A standard gear puller won't work. The pulley and balancer are insulated with rubber, and the puller will destroy the pulley if it offers any resistance (the pulley should come off easily). It will also ruin other pulleys, like the A/C or alt. pulley, if you try it there. You need a balancer puller. They are relitively inexpensive, and will usually come with an assortment of bolts. I have a balancer puller I bought over 20 years ago, and it has worked for every vehicle I've had to pull the balancer on, including the 6.2's and 6.5's. It will also work on steering wheels. Every DIY'er should have one. A good one will be about $20. Be sure you get a 4-way puller (kinda looks like a chicken's foot), which allows you to use it on 2 or 3 bolt applications.

When installing the balancer, you can use the balancer bolt to suck it up. Once you get it started, and are certain it is alligned, you can tap the bolt head with a hammer while turning it to help. Most of them aren't too bad going on.

RT
09-01-2005, 15:55
My new balancer slid right on with some gentle taps with a dead blow hammer on a block of wood. As long as you are'nt smacking the crap out of it you won't hurt anything. RT

Bobbie Martin
09-01-2005, 16:46
Your balancer might not mind all that whacking, but your thrust washers might! Do yourself a favor and use a balancer installer. They are easy to make or cheap to buy. Incidentally, the thread is uncommon and most universal installers do not come with what you need.

BUZZ
09-02-2005, 02:06
I wrapped my new balancer except for the snout in foil and popped in to a pre heated 200 deg. oven for 20 minutes or so. Slid all the way on.
Remeber to grease that new seal.
Buzz

rjwest
09-02-2005, 11:51
BUZZ, Torque Loc working??

moondoggie
09-07-2005, 03:08
Good Day!

Anybody know the thread pitch of the harmonic balancer/crank bolt? I recorded it somewhere a couple years ago when this came up, & now can't remember where...

TIA & Blessings!

moondoggie
09-07-2005, 03:17
Good Day!

Oops