PDA

View Full Version : Custom dash or bug in my butt ?

Robyn
10-04-2008, 08:03
I was sitting in the Monster Burb yesterday and had a scathingly brilliant Idea. :rolleyes:

I will soon be transplanting a 6.2 into the thing after removing the 454.
I hate the gauge cluster on the 92 and the fuel gauge does not work and the tach will be another area that will need mods to work with the diesel.

The computer will no longer be needed either and all the warning lights it controls.

Removing the dash bezel and the cluster is an easy 10 minute job.

I have a lovely set of gauges that I did not let go with the Hummvee project.

Autometer Procomp 2-5/8" gauges for the Fuel,oil pressure, temp and so on
A small tach and speedo.

An aluminum panel can be easily formed to fit in the dash pad area and then holes cut for all the gauges to fit.

I am thinking about rewiring the lot with their own harness to eliminate the errors in readings due to GM's inherent problems in this area.

I will run a common hot line from an extra relay to power the complete cluster and use the individual senders for each gauge.

The speedo is a mechanical unit and I can run it off the TH400 tail shaft with the existing speedo drive.
A proper gear ratio drive is easy to get for the 400 and will make the issue of a proper reading instument easy. It will also keep the law off my tooshie too. :D

A nice direct reading oil pressure gauge (I have) will be nice so there is no guessing about whats going on with the pressure.

The shift indicator on the truck is whacked anyway after the 5 inch body lift.

The indicator is part of the dash cluster and will go away.

I hate the location of the stock indicator too.

Im thinking about a revamp on the console area and I see a nice floor shifter with a cable setup to do the gears on this monster.

Just a little home improvement me thinks.

Keep ya posted as it all unravels over the next few months.

best

Robyn

6.5 Detroit Diesel
10-04-2008, 21:37
Do it Robyn, and then post pictures. :D

Robyn
10-06-2008, 15:55
OK
I have pretty much got the nutz and boltz part figured out now.
Just gotta get into the dash and figure out exactly what I want to keep and what I dont in the way of switches.

Someone installed a radio delete cubby hole above the heater controls and installed the stereo in the center dash area.
The stereo and the center panel are gone so I am going to revamp the center console and build it so it ramps up from the height of the current console.
Going to install a floor mounted cable shifter for the 400TH and just have a sweet romping good time.

The revamped console can also house a switch panel for extra stuff light off road light controls and the Posi lock cable control.

The old style square instrument panel area lends itself nicely to the idea at hand.

Just got sooooo many ideas running right now.

First I need to find out if my donor 6.2 is fit for duty before getting too up tight and into ripping and tearing.

Going to be nice me thinks to have real instruments that read what they are supposed to, :D

later

Robyn

Renntag
10-27-2008, 15:50
I say go for the custom dash since option B is potentially unhealthy. :eek:

Project sounds cool. I hope you will provide pics.

May I also suggest that with GPS being fairly cheap....that is also a great way to get accurate speed/ distance.

Robyn
10-27-2008, 18:28
I tend to agree whole heartedly.

Just tired of the same Old stuff ya know.
Well the 6.2 was not healthy but I have enough bits and parts now to make it so.

Thanks for the input

Robyn

Renntag
10-27-2008, 19:31
You are welcome.

I was actually wondering why you were sticking with the 6.2 and not going with a 6.5TD even.

Robyn
10-28-2008, 07:25
I am using the 6.2 because I have one. :D

I also have a set of heads from mid 90's 6.5
The turbo from a 92 6.5
All the rest of the goodies from a 93 6.5

This is going to be a very inexpensive build using a little of this, that and the other.

This rig is simply going to be a toy for me to screw with.
I hate messing with my daily drivers that I have to depend on to go.
I just fix them and keep them running.

The overall performance with this 6.2 (Red Block) with the 6.5 heads and 4911 IP and GM1 turbo should be as good as the 6.5.

Not looking for a tire scorcher but just a fun truck.

Best

Robyn

Renntag
10-28-2008, 08:08
I am using the 6.2 because I have one. :D
...The overall performance ... should be as good as the 6.5.

Not ... a tire scorcher ...just ... fun...

Thats for sure.

Well I can appreciate making something from what you have, just to have fun with it.

Cool. :cool:

Robyn
10-28-2008, 13:23
If you follow along in the thread I have going on the project you can see whats a shakin.

The 6.2 set up with all the 6.5 TD stuff will make near the same power as the 6.5 so there really is nothing to be gained.

Having the coated pistons would be nice, but the 6.2 engines that were set up with the Banks equipment back in the day worked great.

As long as the EGT's are held in check there is no issue.

:D:D

Robyn

Renntag
10-28-2008, 13:33
Cool. I will check out the thread. I have some 6.5 exploratory surgery to do myself.