PDA

View Full Version : Suburban will not start, GLOW PLUG LIGHT does not come on

Jochen Woern
10-07-2008, 06:33
My Sub will not start this morning, glow plug (wait to start) light will NOT come on at all, truck will turn forever but not fire. I recently noticed that the "glow plug/wait to start light" stayed on a considerable shorter period of time than what I am used to and now it will not light up at all.

What could it be?
- Glow Pug Relay?
- Do I need new Glow Plugs?

Truck ran fine yesterday, parked it in the drive and will not start this morning.

Thanks for your help.

DmaxMaverick
10-07-2008, 06:52
Very common issue, this time of year (change of seasons, getting cooler). Possibly a temp sender issue. Otherwise, probably a lost connection somewhere (including the fuse or relay ground), or a failed controller/relay. If you disconnect the sender, it will "fool" the relay, and give full glow cycle like it's -40°. If your WTS lamp isn't coming on, the GP's aren't getting power from the relay. The WTS lamp is powered by actual power at the GP's. The WTS will come on, even if all the GP's have failed.

If it cranks well but doesn't start, you should have white exhaust smoke if it's getting fuel, but the GP's aren't heating.

Jochen Woern
10-13-2008, 06:38
Tried to start the Burb last week in the afternoon after my morning mishap. WTS Light came on, went off and truck started just fine.

Have been trying this lately also in the mornings when it is cold, same situation: LIGHT comes on, goes off after a few seconds and truck starts with no issues.

- WHY did the light not come on last week when the truck would not start for me?
- Is it the relay or the controller which should be replaced since I of course do not wish to get stranded somewhere in the woods. :)

Thanks for everyones help.

Jochen Woern
10-14-2008, 06:35
This morning she started, shut herself off after about 2 minutes and would not fire anymore. After a while, WTS light went on and off, then on as usual and she started back up again. What could it be?

Warren96
10-14-2008, 13:38
Clean the ground connection that goes to the intake manifold on the trucks right side intake manifold. Mine did that when that ground caused all sorts of codes to be set in the computer. Does your's have any in memory?