PDA

View Full Version : Why The Change In Fuel Filter Design?

moss6
10-12-2008, 12:02
I just changed out the fuel filter in my 06' LBZ and when I opened the box with the new filter found that it was significantly different form the old and all of the previously installed filters for the truck. This is the same AC Delco TP1298B part as always but the new filter rather than having the small holes around the perimeter under the housing threads has no holes there which are replaced with large holes facing upward, similar to the design of an oil filter. I was a little hesitant in installing it especially after finding that the center rubber grommet was much tighter than any before; in fact tight enough that you could not tell when the outer o-ring contacted the housing seat due to the tension of the grommet. No other issues, runs fine. Anyone else notice this new design.......is it supposed to be a higher flow filter?
Randy

Heartbeat Hauler
10-12-2008, 16:59
Not higher flow, but I believe the new filter has more filtering media. I bought a whole case of the old filters a few years back so I still use them, but I also have a secondary fuel filter (Racor 660) installed pre-OEM.

JP

Kennedy
10-13-2008, 05:56
I haven't seen one in person, but my guess would be that it has more to do with a supplier or materials change than anything.

moss6
10-13-2008, 16:13
If the filter is not higher flow then it would have to be because of increase in the media used because the available orfice flow area is easily three times that of the previous design.
On first thought I wondered how a filter manufacturer could make such a significant change in design of a GM part but I suppose GM's interest is only flow and filtering performance; not the design that accomplishes it, and if it meets the spec....... I guess my complaint would be that there should be some labeling informing the user that this is an updated part so that there is no question that the part might be incorrect. Many updated parts have such labeling.
Randy

jbplock
10-13-2008, 16:54
I have some white canister TP1298B's that have the original RACOR top and some Blue canister TP1298B's that have the top you're describing. I believe the Blue ones are made by Champ. Both are packaged in an AC Delco box and labeled TP1298B.