PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Bracket

86DuallyCrew
10-14-2008, 10:50
I have a '95 6.5 the alternator is on the drivers side. It has a really short little bracket that bolts to the threaded alt. hole and the back of the belt tensioner. Mine cracked and ultimately allowed the alt. to break off the truck in the middle of the PA turnpike towing a 10,000lb 2 car trailer, but that is another story. Anyways, I tried welding the bracket back together and that most likely just made it more brittle, and it has cracked again. The alt. hasn't broken off yet, and I am trying to prevent it. I know I don't post here that often but I am looking for another one of these brackets, I don't really have the time or means to fab a new one right now. Does anyone have one of these laying around on a parts motor? I am willing to give a few bucks for it as well as paying for shipping?

Thanks for the help!!!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/70novaprp/alt2.jpg

More Power
10-14-2008, 23:02
These brackets just don't break... except for yours. I would look beyond the broken part to determine what's causing it. Could be that your belt tensioner is shot, which causes the belt to run too tight.

I would also look at the crank pulley. If the rubber has broken down, that would allow the two metal portions of the pulley to impact one another, which would be felt in the belt and/or allow more of the crank torque impulses to be transmitted into the belt.

If everything else is OK, a correctly welded bracket should work fine.

Jim

86DuallyCrew
10-15-2008, 04:26
There is apparently a third bracket that goes to the hole on the back of the alternator. I am completely missing this bracket, so I have the heavy cast bracket on the bottom and the thin steel bracket on the top, but no rear support? Apparently, both of these brackets are available from GM so I am stopping to get them today and probably will pick up a belt tensioner as well. Thanks for the help.