PDA

View Full Version : Back from the long lost

DickWells
01-20-2004, 09:50
Old Dick Wells has not been on the D P since last March! Have had all kinds of com peeuw ker problems for months. Lap tops are great when they work, but on the road, hooked up to the "Can you hear me now?" network, they get pretty frustrating.
For Moondoggie and all you others that were talking with me last winter, here are a few tidbits of how the 95 Sub. TD is doing.
Still running without the wastegate solenoid hooked up. The new one lasted a month and then I lost boost again. So, I just bypassed it with a piece of hose and boost has been fine ever since. That will be a year ago in April. Put on over 22K miles since then.
Put in Phazer gears in August. Best money I've spent on the old Sub since I bought it in 98.
It stalled on me three times coming back to Del Rio from Christmas in Vermont. Started back up OK after the heart in the throat thing in the left lane in traffic. It still skips intermitently every once in a while when the outside temp gets above about 25F and after running for a couple of hours. I won't bother with asking questions of the guys in the forrum at this time, because it would all be old stuff anyway. I need to go through all the regular checks of connections, etc before I get too serious about it. I did pull the codes the other day. Got a 35, a 46 (I think), the inevitable 78 for the dis-connected wastegae solenoid and one other that I can't think of here in the Del Rio Library.
I have a rebuilt mechanical pump with an oversized rotor and head sitting back home waiting to be install next summer. Can't wait to get rid of the electronic pump. Just need a lot of time to make a new bracket for the throttle and cruize control.
I should be able to get on line at least once a week from now on. So if someone wants to talk about SpearCo ICs, Racor filters, boost controls, TorcLocs, GV ex brakes, BM deep pans, 97+ cooling upgrades, rear air bags, guages, oil pressure sender relays conversions and the SS battery terminal mods, (all of which I have installed) I'll be glad to commizerate with you. Please excuse the spelling and typos.
Dick Wells :cool:

rjschoolcraft
01-20-2004, 10:44
Welcome back! smile.gif

ucdavis
01-20-2004, 16:34
So how do you like the BM deep pan (I assume this is for the auto tranny?)?

DickWells
01-21-2004, 14:32
Hi UCDavis: I like the BM deep pan just fine. It's been in there for about four years now. I rarely see more than 200 degrees towing up a mountain with the deep pan and the factory cooler up ahead of the radiator.
If I remember correctly, I had to drill and tap the temp. probe location. I have a Mag HiTech cover on the rear-end, and I understand now that they have a deep trans pan that is all set up for the temp probe.
The old Sub quit again in traffic here in Del Rio yesterday, and it took about a full minute for it to start back up. Usually, I just hit first neutral and then the starter and it's running again. I have another FSD that I know is good, so I think I'll stick it in there and see if my skipping and stalling goes away. I'll deffinately be putting that mechanical pump in while I'm home this summer!