PDA

View Full Version : 6.5TD engine races and sometime stalls - IP?

ol9465er
10-17-2008, 22:06
My 94 6.5TD engine rpm started racing way up for short periods just recently as I am driving - I have to slam on the brakes... It sometimes stalls afterwards but that is no the usual case.

I have heard two possibilites 1. air leaks in to fuel system and 2. oil from turbo leaking into air intake (acting like additional fuel). I had some leaking on my filter hoses and seals but have repaired that by replacing hose connections and re-done the seals now that all appears to be ok. I am going to place a clear plastic hose on next to see if there is air in the fuel. Re the turbo issue, I don't know how check if oil is getting in via the turbo but I don't seem to be losing oil level on the dipstick.

I was advised that this is a sign of the IP going also. I replace the IP about 3.5 years ago and the PMD has died since and I am back to the Sol-D which I keep on as a spare (which has saved my bacon twice now). The fuel injector company said this is a sign of the metering system going...

I have checked my grounds, disconnected and reconnected my Throttle Position pedal resistor unit, I haven't done all the connections on the main computer yet but that will be next.

I am getting a DC35 occassionally (I was getting 36's a while ago).

Any thoughts what else I might check or do before replacing the IP?

Thanks,

More Power
10-18-2008, 00:15
Sounds more like a sticking fuel solenoid in the pump, which could set a code 35/36, though I'd do all the basic troubleshooting before replacing the pump.

Jim

ol9465er
10-18-2008, 09:21
Jim...

Yeah, I know, but that is what I am trying to confirm/rule out because that's the most exspensive fix - it's $1400 (CDN) plus taxes for the IP and my time to change. I have already changed one IP a few years ago when I did a headgasket and waterpump.

I'm going to keep bangin' my knuckles for a few days more though.

Thanks for the post.

Bill

ol9465er
10-27-2008, 20:53
Just wanted to confirm that I did change my IP last weekend and the truck is work just fine. I am now waiting for GMTDScan Tech so I can time it.

I also installed a boost guage while I was at it just too keep more of an eye on things...

Thanks,

More Power
10-27-2008, 21:00
Thanks for the post op update....

Sticking fuel solenoids are sometimes related to fuel quality. The various components that comprise the fuel solenoid don't do well with contamination. In addition, the new ULSD fuel is pretty low in lubricity. I recommend using a fuel treatment that includes a lubricity component. If the fuel treatment includes a cetane improver, there should be enough of a fuel economy improvement to offset the cost of the fuel treatment.

Jim