PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a '93 6.5 N/A what to look for

JDmills
10-18-2008, 16:58
I hope to be looking at a '93 6.5 N/A that came out of a Jr. school bus/van nose.

is my understanding correct that the casting numbers(drivers side?) on this block should be a #599?

And did the Non-turbo's have a different injection pump than the 6.2 NA? The only listing I saw in the members pages was a 10183901 or DB 4 (I think?) which I assume was for the 6.5 turbo

What was the stock horsepower rating on this engine?

any other thought as to what I should be attentive to while looking this engine over.. It almost seems like too good a deal.. engine, transmission, and radiator, for less than 1000.. am I nuts to consider it?

john8662
10-18-2008, 19:12
I think I know the engine you're looking at...

Anyways, the engine will likely be a 599, and if it's a 6.5 it will say "GM D" on the front of the engine on a flat spot of the block on the left hand side (with you standing in front of the engine), near where accessories bolt to the front, just below the heads.

If it's a 6.2 it will usually say GM 6.2 D

Anyways, that engine is probably rated at 170HP, and will have a 5088 mechanical IP, which has the same sized plungers as the Turbo version pump (4911) so if you turbocharge it will be fine.

The trans is a 4L80E so you'll need a TCM to run that transmission, can be bought aftermarket, or somehow adapt the GM stuff (if available off the van it came out of).

I'd be interested in it, but shipping is very high with high diesel fuel costs, yet gas it really cheaper :confused:

J

JDmills
10-18-2008, 20:54
your not talking me out of this!! Thanks for feeding the hope and enthusiasm, I will keep on the chase..

john8662
10-20-2008, 19:35
Cool, yeah, I'd snag it!

Maybe sell me the radiator, if it's alum for a van, will be needing one for an '83 soon.

late

John