PDA

View Full Version : Worst oil change EVER

JeffsJeep04
10-19-2008, 13:38
Yikes...

So, didn't have much to do yesterday and wanted to go out bow hunting around 3ish, so I figured I'd catch up on some vehicular maintenance, and since I just got the truck I'd change the oil and see the general condition of things down below. Put the wife's trail blazer in the garage, got that one knocked out in about 45 minutes. Tinkered around a little more and pulled the K2500 in. It was getting to be noon, so we went down to the local bar and grill for some burgers.

Got started about 1:30. I crawled out from under the truck at 8:30 last night...still hadn't put a drop of oil back in.

Let me start by saying I'm not your typical shade tree mechanic. I'm not saying I'm god's gift to working on cars, but I paid my dues working at the local garage during highschool. I got ASE certified. Lets just say this wasn't my first oil change.

So, where'd we go wrong? Oil plug out, thick black oil out, oil plug in. Nothing out of the ordinary here. Went to take the oil filter off. Just as I figured, too tight to get by hand. Put the strap wrench on it. No dice. Got my channel lock pliers. You know, the ones with the 2 foot long handles on 'em. That should get it no problem. Nope, just crushed the can. Time for the old screwdriver trick. Hammered it through, got oil all over everything, and proceeded to nearly cut the oil filter in half. More channel locks, hammering, pry-baring, and cussing and still no filter off. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so out came the 3/4" drive socket set to take the whole dang adaptor housing off. Which meant the driveshaft had to come off.

Even with the ginormous socket wrench (handle is about 2.5' long), I couldn't get the bolt to budge, so I turned off the light and decided to let it sit for the night. Called up Dad to come help after church. We slipped a 6' pipe on the breaker bar and finally got it to budge between the two of us. With the oil filter in the vice, I grabbed the adaptor with the previously mentioned channel locks. Should come off no problem now, right? Wrong. The vice started to rotate. Loosened up the screw, straightened the vice out, and used a hammer to get the set good and tight. It took about 1/3 rotation before the filter started to finally let go, and a good rotation after that to get it off by hand.

What I want to know is what the HELL did the tech use to put this thing on? The PO always had it serviced at GM, and it was a delco filter. All I can guess is the moron used a strap wrench and forgot to lube the gasket on the filter. On the bright side, it looked like the adaptor was leaking a bit, so I was able to get some RTV on there and seal it up good. I'll get a picture of the filter, I might have to keep it around just for giggles :D

JeffsJeep04
10-19-2008, 15:25
http://jeff.jeeps-offroad.com/Pictures/Truck/Oil%20Filter%201.jpg

http://jeff.jeeps-offroad.com/Pictures/Truck/Oil%20Filter%202.jpg

ercaduceus
10-19-2008, 19:48
Wow. Sounds like an awful experience. Took me less time to replace my exhaust manifolds, turbo, in intake plenum than it took you to change your oil. I would have been so pissed.

JeffsJeep04
10-19-2008, 19:56
Wow. Sounds like an awful experience. Took me less time to replace my exhaust manifolds, turbo, in intake plenum than it took you to change your oil. I would have been so pissed.

Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous. Hopefully when it's time to put an exhaust on I won't have to fight this much with it. The kitty looks to be factory original, and the truck has 180k on it:eek:

ercaduceus
10-19-2008, 23:18
The diesel cats aren't like the gas ones. They don't get hot and clean themselves out. If that this the original cat I would expect it to be pretty clogged. At only 55K mine was packed to the point it was causing decreased(1 pound at best) boost and power issues. An open turbo back exhaust is the best bang for the buck upgrade for power period. These motors are pretty simple to work on. I'm an idiot and I've been able to figure things out (with advise from the TDP of coarse). Once I realized it wasn't a SBC it was easy:D.

trbankii
10-20-2008, 06:03
I admit that the filter is not in the best place - I felt like I had to be a double jointed circus monkey to get to it the first time I did it. But it does sound like it was spun on dry and then torqued down pretty good by the last person to service it.

You'll find a couple posts on the board here with horror stories from others about what the various grease monkeys have done to their vehicles. Just another reason to take the time to do it yourself and make sure that it is done right!

JeffsJeep04
10-20-2008, 06:09
I admit that the filter is not in the best place - I felt like I had to be a double jointed circus monkey to get to it the first time I did it. But it does sound like it was spun on dry and then torqued down pretty good by the last person to service it.

You'll find a couple posts on the board here with horror stories from others about what the various grease monkeys have done to their vehicles. Just another reason to take the time to do it yourself and make sure that it is done right!

Amen to that. As time goes on, I get more and more convinced I don't want anyone else to touch my vehicles with a wrench. I'm nearly paranoid now...I check the lugs and everything after I get new tires put on. I guess working in a garage has given me first hand knowledge of the quality of most mechanics, and that's what worries me.

93_Burrito
10-20-2008, 17:02
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/oil_filter_wrench.jpg

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/oil_filter_wrench_2.jpg

That's what I use for oil filters... and as you can see it fits practically everything. Very handy!
I'll admit it can be a pain to "get started," depending on the orientation and location of the filter, but once it grips into the filter, it's comin' free.

-Andy

P.S. Sorry for the photo flash... made the top of the package a bit hard to read.

JeffsJeep04
10-20-2008, 17:15
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/oil_filter_wrench.jpg

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/oil_filter_wrench_2.jpg

That's what I use for oil filters... and as you can see it fits practically everything. Very handy!
I'll admit it can be a pain to "get started," depending on the orientation and location of the filter, but once it grips into the filter, it's comin' free.

-Andy

P.S. Sorry for the photo flash... made the top of the package a bit hard to read.

I drove around for a good hour trying to find one of those, I used to have one back in my wrenching days, but through about 4 moves since then, I've lost it. Apparently they aren't as common as they used to be, and for some reason I didn't even think of sears. It surely wouldn't have gotten this one off though after looking at it, there just wasn't room and the filter was too far smashed, not to mention it was WAY to tight for it.

93_Burrito
10-20-2008, 17:34
I've used it on my K2500 a few times, and there's definitely enough room. At least for normal oil changes, and the fairly stuck filter. If your filter was _that_ stuck, I wonder if using this tool would have simply sheared the lower portion off the filter...

Anyhow, pick up a filter relocation kit yet? :D

-Andy

JeffsJeep04
10-20-2008, 17:39
I've used it on my K2500 a few times, and there's definitely enough room. At least for normal oil changes, and the fairly stuck filter. If your filter was _that_ stuck, I wonder if using this tool would have simply sheared the lower portion off the filter...

Anyhow, pick up a filter relocation kit yet? :D

-Andy

Yeah, it probably would have worked before the filter was turned raisin. The filter relocation kit is definitely on the list. I think new exhaust is next, then gauges, then the filter relocation.

john8662
10-20-2008, 19:25
LMAO

Ok, yeah, that's really not funny.

Might have been on there for a few oil changes! If the service tech couldn't get it off, they probably said, F. It.

You knew you were in trouble when the big screw driver trick didn't work, that's for sure, I love that one.

glad to see a positive outcome tho!

J

trbankii
10-21-2008, 05:19
I've got a couple sizes of these to span the sizes of filters in my fleet: Lisle Filter Wrench (http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63250-Range-Filter-Wrench/dp/B0002SR4PY/ref=pd_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1224591432&sr=8-7)

They work very nicely, but judging by the damage done to your filter to get it off I don't think one of these would have done any better. I've had a couple on tight enough that this wrench dented the end and started to twist it before it broke loose.

JeffsJeep04
10-21-2008, 06:58
LMAO

Ok, yeah, that's really not funny.

Might have been on there for a few oil changes! If the service tech couldn't get it off, they probably said, F. It.

You knew you were in trouble when the big screw driver trick didn't work, that's for sure, I love that one.

glad to see a positive outcome tho!

J

It is funny, trust me :p

I'm pretty slow to give up on something, if I'd have had to pull the truck up to the shop and welded something to it...I'd have gotten her out :D

ThreeQuarter
11-02-2008, 16:12
Did you compare the gasket to a new Delco? Curious how thin it is now...

JeffsJeep04
11-02-2008, 20:13
Did you compare the gasket to a new Delco? Curious how thin it is now...

Not directly, but that's the old gasket sitting on the tool box to the right in the pictures.

simon
11-02-2008, 22:08
next time when you encounter a stubborn filter, try hammer and big dull screwdriver on the filter edge next to the adapter to break the hold. I turned a few loose that way

JeffsJeep04
11-03-2008, 06:53
next time when you encounter a stubborn filter, try hammer and big dull screwdriver on the filter edge next to the adapter to break the hold. I turned a few loose that way

Tried that. Tried a chisel too, no dice. I've gotten a few that way as well...but this one was completely out of reach of anything while in the vehicle. The amount of force required on the bench was staggering.