PDA

View Full Version : turbo not spooling

axemann
10-20-2008, 22:52
Hi All

After recently having changed my injection pump, and getting the truck all back together - looking forward to driving it again.

I cant get the turbo to whistle when at idle, i checked all the vacuum lines,
and joins, and plugged in my HVAC unit to seal off those vacuum outlets, but
still nothing.. I used a vacuum gauge and connected it straight to the vacuum line from from the pump to the wastegate, and was getting vacuum when the truck was revved.

I then connected a hose to the wastegate and was able to blow with my mouth and see it open and close.

I then used a hand vacuum pump, and brought it up to around 20, when connected to the vacuum lines, and saw that it was slowly dropping..

Not being able to track down a leak, i just now fitted up a Heath Mechanical wastegate, the old vacuum wastegate seemed fine when out of the truck, but now even with the mechanical one, its still not spooling..I am also not getting any psi on the boost gauge

What else could it be, everything is now pointing to the Turbo having failed, but i cant see how it could just stop.

As far as ownership goes, i have had this truck for the past year, prior to that i believe it passed through several owners, who i dont believe really maintained it, it has low kms around 85 000. and since i have owned it has been serviced twice, and seems to have spent more time off the road in my garage than on..

Looking forward to some suggestions

6.5 Detroit Diesel
10-20-2008, 23:24
Get it under load.

ercaduceus
10-20-2008, 23:51
Agreed. At idle you will not be able to hear the turbo "spool" or make boost. Break stand or pull a hill.

DmaxMaverick
10-21-2008, 00:03
At idle, the turbo will "whir" at most. No whistle, no whine. Provided, you have an open intake and exhaust (depending on which end you are listening to). The intake flow will do more to spin the turbo at idle than the exhaust. If you are still unable to get the turbo to do what you want it to do once under load, then you have a problem. Still, the wastegate should be held tightly closed at idle. Check your solenoid electrical connection. Also, the vacuum won't do what it is supposed to if the lines are reversed at the solenoid.

axemann
10-21-2008, 19:42
Ok, ill take it for a drive and see what happens, usually i can hear it whistle when i bring the revs up to pump the tires..

Your right though if it doesnt boost under load, thats a different story

axemann
10-22-2008, 02:05
I pulled the air intake hose off, and ran the truck, and can see the turbo spinning.

I put it back together and took it for a drive, Its definitely not working, no boost, no spool, and no boost pressure, driving with the engine cover off the mechanical waste gate wasn't moving..

Anyway, I'm glad in a way the turbo spins, but its odd why its not really working. I didn't notice any exhaust gas escaping as such, at one point whilst driving it, i did notice what i thought to be smoke, coming from the exhaust but it didn't smell like exhaust gas, it smelt like steam, but there were no water or fuel leaks..

It could of been exhaust but, if it is the cracks aren't noticeable