PDA

View Full Version : In the news - October 2008

More Power
10-24-2008, 13:24
According to Diesel World magazine, December 2008 issue:

Till recently, many U.S. diesel owners living near the Mexican border were crossing over and buying diesel fuel in quantity for as much as $1 less per gallon. Well, all that's come to an end. It's OK to refill your factory/main tank in Mexico, but it is now illegal to fill an auxiliary fuel tank or fuel containers which are then used to transport Mexican fuel back across the border. Mexico officials are reportedly testing the fuel in aux tanks, and are impounding the vehicles till a fine is paid.

Also... The government incentives and various mandates to produce bio-diesel here in the U.S. have resulted in a tightening of SVO/WVO supplies all around the country. More large scale bio-diesel producers are contracting with food chains and restaurants to lock up the supplies.

To take advantage of various U.S. alternative-fuels incentives, bio-diesel producers are double-dipping for subsidies. Bio-diesel producers are subsidized approximately $1.00 per gallon here in the U.S. Shipping bio-diesel to Europe nets them yet another Euro subsidy. I say thumbs down to fuel exports....

Subzilla
10-30-2008, 06:04
As a very small scale biodieseler, I ain't liking the sound of this! I've got 2 mom-and-pop restaurants for my WVO sources. The big collectors don't bother messing with these types as they're not big grease producers. Plus they're usually the easiest to get as a source as they're not wanting to pay anyone to haul off their stuff. I tell them I'll collect for free plus I'm using it for my own benefit and NOT exporting it. I did loose my original source to someone who was more willing to clean out the fryers in trade for grease. In other parts of the country, there are grease wars going on but so far there's enough grease around here to make everyone happy.