PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust is on. Walmart tires. Long. New pitman arm.

Randee of the Redwoods
10-20-2003, 13:32
Finally gave up on putting the pitman arm in myself. Local garage did it in less than a day for only $144. I found htat to be very reasonable since the steering box has to come off the frame. Wow is this thing a pleasure to drive now.
got a brand new set of tires from Walmart. Cost me $450 installed for a set of BFG Land Terrains(lame verions of the A/T tire) 265/75/16. Not too bad, but I could have come in under $400 if I had went with the 245's. I really think I should have. Tires fit great, look good, but I'm worried about that C load rating. The Michilans(sp) that were on it were load rating E. The difference between the tires is night and day. The C rated tires ride much softer, floaty(softer sidewall). Not that I'd ever max the E rated tires, but this is a one ton truck and I wanted to keep the capability. I suppose I'll just suffer.
Turns out one rim is bent and I had no factory jack to remove the spare so as to swap rims. Luckily it only wobbles above 50. Don't go over 40 on my way to work in the morning. What impressed me the most was watching my tires be installed. After intalling the lugnuts, the Walmart tire installer, slightly broken English and all, pulled out a TORQUE WRENCH and HAND TORQUED all 32 nuts. this is the first time EVER I have seen a tire shop, mechanic shop, ANY shop, let alone Walmart, hand torque lugnuts as a rule.
Damn.
Bill Heath exhaust is on. What a brainer that was. Note to self-don't cut off bad cat in the future. His exhaust fit perfectly and seemlessly, but it did take a few minutes figuring out which hanger went where. He's a great guy to talk to as well. I spoke with him several times about my cat snafu, supplied me with an alternative(won't discuss it here), and was reasonable about it. Real great guy. Too bad he's in Washington state.
My exhaust now is just barely hold on, but it's on, mostly by force. The "alternative" didn't line up like I hoped it would so I had to get creative and make up 8" of gap. It's holding for now, exhaust note is incredibly quiet(no more cool ricer turbo sound), but I had to crank a couple of the u-bolt clamps down cromping the tubes permantly. I'll be overhauling the setup soon so I can recover from my mistakes.
Mr. Heath also gave some insight as to the questionable noise comeing from my motor. He suggested dumpling a quart of oil in the fuel tank to help lube and clean out the IP. He thinks the noise may be one injector severely retarded and it won't catch up. I'm a bit leary about throwing oil in with my fuel, but, after explaining Frieghtliner's version, assured me it is safe. We'll see soon.
Now for the moment of truth. Will the Ebay truck, bought on pretense of internal engine damage, knowingly with steering problems, finally pass VA state inspection? Stay tuned.

Marty Lau
10-20-2003, 13:40
Randee;
Glad to see your gettting your Ebay special all lined up. Years ago MP used to suggest if you were not willing to pay for a good fuel additive to add oil to the fuel for pump lube. I have done it but I used only 2 cycle oil that is made to be burned. I now use PowerService, used to use the Rotella DFA but the store that carried it stopped. But if you use 2 cycle oil you shouldn't have a problem.

Randee of the Redwoods
10-20-2003, 13:49
Bill's theoligy was that if the IP had a retarded injector, the oil might help loosen things up and get the pump back in line so to speak. The only other idea he would come up with for the noise was excess skirt clearance on one cylinder, but I think he is leaning to the retarded injector(ain't that the truth) since the noise kind of rolls ina and out and never stays constant. He suggested any 5-30 motor oil, except synthetic. would 2 stroke oil be as effective for this purpose? My fingers are crossed hard that this might do the trick if Bill is right on the pump idea. I can live with the noise since it does not affect the motor whatosever, so far, but it would be nice to have it go away.

Marty Lau
10-21-2003, 08:02
I would again think that the 2 cycle would do the job as it is used in engines and will lubircate. I sounds like the idea Bill is suggesting that if you get the sticky injector lubed up enough that it will stop sticking and work okay. Heck buy a gallon of the 2 cycle should cost $12-15 bucks and dose up next 4-5 tanks real heavy and if it stop sticking (retarded)then switch to a good Diesel Fuel additive. 2 cycle is ashless dispersant, and will not leave any sludge from burning. I am a believer in fuel additives. I have a client who worked as mechanic for 25 years at the Cat dealer, he told me that there was a big rise in all fuel pump and injector problems as sulphur has been reduced from fuel. He suggested any Diesel he own he would add fuel additive with a lubircant.

Randee of the Redwoods
10-21-2003, 13:30
I used Power Plus additive for the last 4 tanks or so and there was no change. I told Bill this, but he still told me to try the oil. I guess maybe the oil will work harder than just regular additive.