PDA

View Full Version : where s the new dmax suburban ?

hapaschold
10-26-2008, 05:09
thought i d see the new v6 dmax suburbans and yukons by now....

talked with both chevy and gmc dealers and neither know anything about them.

a dmax in a suburban or yukon is the only thing i d buy new right now........

any thoughts ?

DmaxMaverick
10-26-2008, 08:37
Good question. GM has been promising a "Duramax Suburban" since 2001. Plans have always been "in about 2 or 3 years". Although it's always been "planned for the future", the future will always be in the future. I'll believe it when I see it.

Duramaster
10-26-2008, 14:12
The latest issue of Diesel Power Magazine (I love that magazine!) has an article about the new 4.5 DMAX V-8 engine. No mention of what transmission is going to be used. I'm hoping maybe a 6L80? ;)

More Power
10-26-2008, 20:14
thought i d see the new v6 dmax suburbans and yukons by now....

talked with both chevy and gmc dealers and neither know anything about them.

a dmax in a suburban or yukon is the only thing i d buy new right now........

any thoughts ?

The 5.0L V-6 Duramax was fully developed by about 2003. This engine was essentially a 3/4 version of the V-8 Duramax 6600, just missing two cylinders. The engine architecture, geometry and most of the engine accessories were identical to the 6600. The production facility was scheduled to be built adjoining the existing DMAX facility in Moraine, Ohio. Those of you who attended the 2001 Rendezvous and toured the DMAX facility with us remember the grassy area where we arranged the truck photos..... That was where the building expansion was to take place.

A couple of people here actually got to drive a V-6 Duramax Suburban prototype back in 2003 or 2004.

The program was all set to go.... Then GM waited for Ford to release their 4.5L V-6 Navistar Powerstroke..... Ford eventually canceled their V-6 diesel program..... and GM put their V-6 in mothballs..... GM didn't have the gusto to go it alone in a diesel SUV market.

Once the new 2010 emissions rules became known, GM & DMAX knew their V-6 couldn't be economically modified to meet the tougher emissions restrictions so they designed an entirely new and smaller 4.5L V-8. GM also knew that Ford and Chrysler were planning a new diesel for their SUV lineup. Go with the flow.... Don't expect GM to do this unless Ford leads.

That's it in a nutshell..... :rolleyes:

Jim

hapaschold
10-27-2008, 15:56
more waiting ...........ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mercedes has the E , ML R and GL series all available with v 6 diesel for 2009 and more to come.......

the gl is nice, but costly........72k......but not as big as burb or yukon....