PDA

View Full Version : she just quit need help

polejockey65
10-26-2008, 09:35
Hello to all I need some help. My truck has been doing some weird things for months now. lights on the dash just come on and off when ever they want to. i installed some extra grounds that did not work then the cruise some times and not some times and i also noticed the i could not hear the lift pump come on when i start the truck.
well now yesterday i was on my wayt to a friends house about 3 miles from the house and she just quit..note i changed the fuel filter last week and when i tested the lift pump by cracking the vent on top of the engine then the truck quit.
So today i just assummed that the lift pump was bad so changed the filter again the relay and the lift pump. .
I still do not hear the pump and the filter will not bleed aka no fuel at the filter
I had a new fuel lift pump, an injection pump and black box at 128000, now she has around 230,000 or so a year after the injection pump failed the black box failed again so i installed a remote fsd and extention from Kennedy diesel no problems till now. could it be the fsd again???
The FSD/black box has a 100'000 or so on it.
I also checked battery connections, pulled the air filter and box out, to check it.
I now noticed today that the glow plug light also doesn't come on either.
i have changed the glow plugs a few months back when i was having all my exhaust problems.
I have seen pic's of the glow plug relay but where excactly is it?? i can't seam to find it.
also i noticed a orange wire that comes from terminal "B" under the hood, fuse and relay center, It looks like it got hot. any one know where this wire goes to. looks like a #10 stranded or so
Not sure what to do from here.
please please please any ideas, sugestions would be great.

My truck has 361,000 km's around 230,000 miles
Thanks
Brian

More Power
10-27-2008, 15:10
The lift pump is powered a couple of ways in the 1996+ 6.5 equipped trucks. 1- The PCM powers it when the ignition key is first rotated to teh run position (like while waiting for the glow plugs to cycle). 2- The engine oil pressure switch also powers the lift pump, as a redundant backup, whenever the engine oil pressure is above about 5-7 psi.

From the variety of symptoms you're reporting, it appears you have some sort of electrical problem that affects more than one system. Check the batteries, battery cables, engine/chassis grounds and fuses.

The glow plug relay is located near the back of the engine on the inside (engine valley side) of the driver's side cylinder head. It's black in color with a flat electrical connector on the top.

I wouldn't worry about a possible FSD/PMD failure till you've got the other systems working correctly. I'd start with the lift pump...

Jim

CTW
10-27-2008, 16:48
When my PMD started to go bad, the cruise control went inop and usually the check eng lt. would come and go. Got over 100k on a Kennedy PMD, have 285k on her and replacing the inj pump. First one GM did at 102k. The lift pump should run when you turn the ign on and you should hear it running for a bit when you shut down.

CedarGrove
10-28-2008, 05:50
The orange wire goes to the rear of the truck and would provide aux power to your trailer if you needed it. Look at the wiring harness at the trailer hitch and you should see the orange wire back there. There is a large fuse in the relay box for that wire.

Lewis

polejockey65
10-29-2008, 13:45
just to keep you all up to date i have so far installed a new lift pump, relay and fuel filter. still will not start. just cranks like it wants to..
I ordered a new fsd and installed it in back on my "kennedy" fsd cooler. i think the old fsd had about 100,000 on it.
She still will not start. no power to the fuel pump. Just cranks and cranks.
Ok you all i'm not given up she still has at least 250,000 to go be for i 'll be done with her.
money is to tight to get d-max
What can i do next.
Thanks

polejockey65
10-29-2008, 19:05
More power.
I checked the grounds again. like i thought be for i also thought i had a ground problem. i installed grounds everwhere i could tie two pieces of metal together. with that said i had all kinds of problems with that bolt in exhaust i bought. i don't want to go back to that post again. but i noticed that the problems started then. i pulled the passenger side innner wheel well back off tonight and a found the ground off, muffler shop did not reattach it. between the firewall and the passenger side, i also checked the fuses a 10th time or so and found ecm-b fuse blown [20 amp fuse]. after i put the air box back together and tryed it guess what SHE FIRED RIGHT UP . Its a good day to here here running again
I think i did not have the battery case ground tied to any thing and that what started the whole problem back to that bolt in your self exhaust, i 'm still paying for that mistake to dark right now to finnish putting it back together but i will add this all of the warning lights that were on are now off. set belt, water and running head light are also back on
I'm just amazed.
well till next time thanks again
Ceder grove also thanks for the tip on the trailer light i left the trailer plug danglen a few months back and i had to replace the connector back it got hot and burnt my socket out on my brake light must of got hot all the way back to the fuse box. i will trace it out tommorow. its nice to have two days off in the middle of the week with no wife of kids
to get things squared away on my truck.