PDA

View Full Version : How hard would this be...

BigDiesel
10-28-2008, 15:14
Just bought my 88 in the states with a good body(from what I can tell) and a strong drivetrain 6.2 w/ banks turbo/turbo 700r4 and rebuilt axles(10 bolt)
However, the interior is tan and in ok condition, but I hate tan. Looking on ebay there are 90 & 91's selling for around $2-3000 that are flawless interior and body wise with 80-100k miles(mine has 150). I was thinking of buying one with the color interior I want and swapping the diesel drivetrain into it and vice-versa. I could sell my 88 with the gas job for more than I paid for the 91. Plus I would have the nicer, in my opinion, grille in the 91 along with a perfect interior and body. How hard would this be. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad considering I have both trucks parked beside one another.

Thinking about maybe doing a "built" 6.5 turbo'd with mechanical injection and built 4L80 swap instead of the 6.2 into the gasser truck. Don't like like the lag with the non-wastegated banks system. :(

Robyn
10-28-2008, 19:41
A bit if work but certainly doable.

best

Robyn

JeffsJeep04
10-29-2008, 07:13
Why not find a truck in a junkyard with the interior you want and just swap that in? It would be MUCH less work then swapping drivetrains and would save you money in the long run. I can't imagine getting over 2-3k for an 88 gasser truck the way the economy is right now.

BigDiesel
10-31-2008, 02:58
They're still selling okay up here. Almost too good. I want the best possible body I can get, and will drive the gasser until I build a beast of a TD 6.5/4L80 combo. I'm afraid the harness has been slightly(not too bad though) hacked in my 88 and would prefer to have a mint stock truck to start with. I'm planning to drive this truck for many years to come and have always been anal retentive when it comes to getting my vehicles perfect.
Plus It'll have the nice 89-91 grill. :)

Robyn
10-31-2008, 07:07
Being anal retentive is a great quality when it comes to keeping up your rig :D

Robyn