PDA

View Full Version : TurboMaster

w6bauer
10-30-2008, 20:39
Are any further modifications necessary with the installation of a turbomaster on my 96 burb other than simply removing the old wastegate actuator, removing vacuum pump and installing shorter belt?

More Power
10-31-2008, 10:10
There may be some amount of incompatibility, depending on how picky your ECM programming is with not having control of boost pressure. It seems some trucks get along fine with a TM and some less so.

Jim

w6bauer
10-31-2008, 10:43
It seems that I have read somewhere that the "s" VIN code models need to have the ECM reflashed and that the "f" VIN code models need no further modification. Does anyone know if this is true?

JeffsJeep04
10-31-2008, 10:49
It seems that I have read somewhere that the "s" VIN code models need to have the ECM reflashed and that the "f" VIN code models need no further modification. Does anyone know if this is true?

If you keep the vacuum pump intact on an S motor, you should be fine without a reflash. A set of gauges would be very helpful, I'm chomping at the bit to get some, but I just can't seem to sell anything off to afford them. My truck came with the TM already on it, so I'm assuming it's set to the stock setting since it's not throwing any codes.

w6bauer
10-31-2008, 10:55
I just spoke with a guy at Heath Diesel and he told me the same thing. He said at between 65 and 70 mph a code would be thrown and the engine would be defueled by about 51% if I do not get the new chip. My vacuum pump bearing is going now and I was trying to compare the costs of just taking out the pump and intstalling the TM. If no modification was necessary for the PCM it would be very close to the same price either way but the fact that the new chip is going to cost about $400 I think I may just replace the vacuum pump and do the TM later on down the road.

Jochen Woern
10-31-2008, 11:35
I have the Turbo Master as well as the PCM Upgrade (Max-E-Tork) from HEATH. Yes, the PCM will cost you 400 bucks, but in my opinion it is well worth it. Ever since I installed the Turbo Master as well as Max-E-Tork, it is a whole different truck now and soooooo much more fun to drive and pull with.

w6bauer
10-31-2008, 16:53
Is there any fuel economy benefits to the new PCM and TM setup?

DaveNY
10-31-2008, 17:38
I have the TM and on occasion I set P0261 (boost circuit) around 72 mph at certain conditions that are unknown. But it does not seem to defuel and will reset the light after a few restarts. I am stock ECM and have no other issues.(with the truck)!!!
Dave

Jochen Woern
11-02-2008, 11:31
I have not noticed any fuel economy benefits at all, but lots more fun and power. :)

GMC Hauler
11-02-2008, 17:45

I know the "f" needed nothing further. I don't think the S needs a reflash either, but the S also has the smog control on it that uses the vacuum pump.

You do not have to remove the vacuum pump, but many have, including myself.

No noticed fuel economy benefits

w6bauer
11-02-2008, 19:33
Can I just take my PCM to someone to reflash it and do you think it would cost just as much to have someone do it as to just swap mine for one.

GMC Hauler
11-02-2008, 19:44
Can I just take my PCM to someone to reflash it and do you think it would cost just as much to have someone do it as to just swap mine for one.

Very few people actually reflash it. Westers, Heath, Kennedy. it would cost you nothing to swap it yourself.

Unless you live close to one of these people, you have to mail it off, but usually after you get the new one in the mail and swap it. There is a core charge associated with the PCM.

Kenneth
11-03-2008, 19:39
I have the TM and a stock ecm. Mine has never defueled, but has set a boost code a couple times that immediately went out (never stayed on, no defueling). Heath tried to sell me a chip as well when I went to a TM, but I didn't want to fork out the money at the time, and my truck is currently averaging 19mpg with the TM and the stock ecm. Yes, more power would be great, but if you don't want to pay the money, the stock ecm will work. You just need to make sure you set the TM to 5-7 psi of boost. Too much boost will set a code.