View Full Version : Oil leak on G30 van

greenfire
10-31-2008, 15:05
Hi all. This is my first post. Have been lurking on here for a few years and I have always found what info I was looking for.

I have a 1995 G30 van with a 6.5/non turbo. (runs like a frieght train:cool:) The rig has an engine oil leak that "appears" to be coming from the oil pan gasket at the front of the engine. However, I am not 100% confident with my diagnosis. Are there any other seals/gaskets on the front of the engine? Oil cooler lines are new, and the top of the engine is bone dry.

If I do replace the the oil pan gasket... Anyone have any helpfull advice pertaining to the G30? Also Ive read that the OEM installation used sealant and no gasket.. but a gasket can be utilized. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!!!:)

john8662
10-31-2008, 17:49
The leak is most likely the front main seal located behind the harmonic balancer. This will also provide you with a good time to inspect the balancer and dampner pulley up front for good condition.

J

rhsub
11-01-2008, 01:44
I would clean front of engine and find out exactly were the leak is, front cover is much easier to re & re than oil pan. Did an oil pan on a G van many years ago and it was a real PITA,:mad::mad: if I remember right :confused::confused:I had to remove flywheel which meant re & re trans and lift engine as high as possible. Other things that can leak are crank sensor, fuel pump block off plate, timing chain cover, front crank seal. If you can't pin point leak get it dye tested
Good luck
Ron

greenfire
11-01-2008, 08:23
Just lovely. Yea I degreased it all yesterday have to run it a day or so and see what I can see. Im willing to bet though, Ill have to go the dye route. There is absolutely no room in these vans to work on anything up front. I may be getting in over my head here:rolleyes:

john8662
11-01-2008, 16:10
Still, out of every time I've had a leak on the front of the engine, it's been the front main seal, but looks like the front of the pan because of how the oil get's slung and it's route to the ground.

I'd change it, if it don't fix it, keep looking into it.

greenfire
11-01-2008, 18:34
but looks like the front of the pan because of how the oil get's slung and it's route to the ground.

Thats kinda what I thought was going on.