PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding clutch problem

tankertoad
11-02-2008, 14:59
'97 K3500 Dually 6.5TD 5Spd. After engine & clutch change, have difficulty shifting. Did not change master or slave unit. Hope there's a solution that doesn't involve changing them now. Can pump clutch to accomplish gear changes, usually, but traffic presents a problem. Luckily I live out in the boonies and don't have this problem every day! Thanks in advance.

Hubert
11-03-2008, 19:33
Probably should have at least changed the slave while you were in there.

Make sure the master is full pump up 15-20 times bleed and repeat 2-3 times wait an hour. Make sure fluid doesn't go down too much in between. Pump smoothly and steady not too fast.

Then wait and repeat the next day. If you over pump the pedal it might push something over the edge. The system kinda sorta will bleed itself somewhat or let the tiny air bubbles clump up and exit on 2nd day. Or it will get better if things are ok. If something is worn out it won't. If you don't start getting quicker recovery by the 5-7 pumps on pedal on the 2nd day then probably master or slave is worn out.

a5150nut
11-03-2008, 20:40
Tankertoad,

Did you remove the line from the slave and from the master when you worked on it? It takes very little pressure to crack either where the metal line goes into the plastic cylinders. Might be a day or two and all of the sudden the peddle is on the floor. Even changing the starter can distort the line enough to make this happen.

And on a brighter note, what shape were the clutch fork and pivot ball in? And did you get the through out bearing in the fork properly? I sure hate pulling the damn heavy transmissions in and out.

HH
11-05-2008, 17:41
Tankertoad,

And on a brighter note, what shape were the clutch fork and pivot ball in? And did you get the through out bearing in the fork properly? I sure hate pulling the damn heavy transmissions in and out.

I agree, did you look at it? IIRC you should be able to crack the bleeder and gravity bleed it.

jeffscarstrucks
11-08-2008, 08:32
Just order the new pivot ball and arm now. I wish I would have listened to the person here who told me that before my third time in and out! JEFF

a5150nut
11-08-2008, 09:38
Just order the new pivot ball and arm now. I wish I would have listened to the person here who told me that before my third time in and out! JEFF

Ahh, you just wanted the practice so you will be even faster at it next time! :D

Just remember the 7 "Ps" next time.

jeffscarstrucks
11-09-2008, 19:52
You are correct Sir...I have learned more the second time than I would care to admit! JEFF