PDA

View Full Version : my 6.2 wont start!!!

exmilitary6.2
11-02-2008, 20:22
Ok when ever i started it (i have my own glow plug igniter button) the glow plug selinoid always like clicked about 15 times or "wound down" till it stopped in the engauged position. Now i went to start it today and it doesnt "wind down" anymore. Now it acutally sounds like it supposed to. It just clicks. But it doesnt start or even fire at all. Could this thing finally have gone out? is there any way to temporarily bypass that to see if it will start? Because even if i cross it with a screw driver it clicks but doesnt seem to heat the plugs? any help would be appreciated!!!! i gotta get this baby put away before the salt comes out on the roads....thanks
kyle

Duramaster
11-02-2008, 23:45
Do you have an ohm meter? If so, check the glow plug resistance at each individual glow plug. The resistance should be approx. .9 ohms each. What year is your 6.2 diesel? Is it naturally aspirated? How is the fuel filter and fuel quality? Is it cold enough to gel the fuel yet in your climate? :confused:

exmilitary6.2
11-03-2008, 16:25
Ok i got the ohm meter out today and it says about 2 ohms? Its a 1984 blazer. Its not cold enough to gel yet(thanks god) and i think the fuel filter is ok....I drove it where it was parked........Any other ideas from here? thanks alot

Duramaster
11-03-2008, 20:45
How about fuel to the injection pump? Have you put a clear line on the fuel supply line to the injection pump? There should be no air getting to the injection pump.

exmilitary6.2
11-03-2008, 20:58
no i didnt do that......Where should i put the clear line? and also is that high pressure right there?

Duramaster
11-04-2008, 07:26
To start with, all the fuel supply ti the injection pump is low pressure ( 10 PSI or less). Put the clear line on the injection pump return line first. That is the 1/4 inch rubber fuel line coming out of the top of the injection pump and is curved towards the coolant crossover pipe. When cranking, there should be no air present. There might be a few bubbles at first because you just opened the fuel system, but if there is major foam then you have a problem. Quick thought, is the fuel gauge accurate? you might be out of fuel..

exmilitary6.2
11-05-2008, 11:18
Ok.....although i did not put the clear line in......I did try starting it again today. I get smoke out the exhaust but still no fire????? So doesnt it take fuel and spark(glow) to make fire? I would assume that i am gettting both? I still think that the glow plug selenoid is screwed up.....is that also an option?
thanks again lots id be lost without ya

Duramaster
11-05-2008, 18:54
Are you getting battery voltage to the glow plugs? Dou you have an inductive amp clamp that you can put on the glowplug wire harness? The glow plugs should dram about 120 amps when cycled on.

exmilitary6.2
11-13-2008, 19:11
can i test my glow plugs if i pull some out and and ignite them? thanks
kyle

DmaxMaverick
11-13-2008, 19:37
can i test my glow plugs if i pull some out and and ignite them? thanks
kyle

Yes, you can do it like that. Put 12V battery power to them for about 5 seconds, and they should glow bright red. Once you verify they glow, don't "test" them any further. They can burn out if juiced too long with full battery power on only one plug.

exmilitary6.2
11-13-2008, 22:04
alirighty ill try that! thanks