PDA

View Full Version : Mounting of new PMD/FSD on Kennedy FSD Cooler Kit

Jochen Woern
11-03-2008, 16:53
When installing my new DTech PMD/FSD on the Kennedy FSD Cooler Kit, what kind of "paste" do I need to use to put underneath the PMD/FSD Module?
I know there is some kind of a heat transfer, conductive paste used, but am not sure WHAT exactly it is/WHAT it is CALLED?

Any help would be appreciated, maybe someone has any detailed directions as to HOW TO swap out the PMD/FSD?

Thanks in advance.

DmaxMaverick
11-03-2008, 19:20
'Thermal' or 'thermal conductive' paste. You can get it at Radio Shack or any computer store. Cheap. The same stuff used to install computer processor coolers. Don't use toothpaste, although it looks the same.

Jochen Woern
11-03-2008, 20:50
Thanks very much DmaxMaverick.

What is the purpose of this paste (just out of curiousity?).

DmaxMaverick
11-03-2008, 21:18
The purpose of the heat sink is to conduct the heat from the FSD to the cooling fins. Metal surfaces are not perfect (unless they are mfg'd by the same machinist, at the same time, with the mating surface quality as a goal). Any inconsistencies will create an opportunity for the heat to not be transfered evenly, or efficiently. The paste fills the "gaps", which are mostly just different pressure areas on the surfaces.

When you apply it, it works best to place an M&M sized solid amount in the center of one surface, and slowly press the other in place with a slight back and forth twisting motion (just to evenly squish the paste across the surfaces, evenly). Don't practice with the paste, it needs to be completed without interruption. Removing allows air spaces (start over if you have to). Best results are with even coverage with no voids (air bubbles). It's OK (and desired) if some oozes out once the mounting is complete. Wipe up the excess.

Jochen Woern
11-04-2008, 07:33
Excellent info, thanks once again DmaxMaverick

Robyn
11-04-2008, 07:42
I built my own cooler from some surplus Heat Sink stock I found at a little electronics store.
I used the white goop that Maverick speaks of.

Yup Yup, great stuff
No matter who's cooler you use, run a straight edge (machinist square blade) across the contact side of the cooler both X and Y and diagonal to be sure the thing is flat. (Hold the cooler to the light and look to see if there is any warpage)

The last thing you need is to over stress the PMD when you tighten the bolts.

Jochen Woern
11-04-2008, 13:21
Thanks Robyn