PDA

View Full Version : Lots of wheel hop

Simzie
11-03-2008, 19:20
I have had my new 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A for about two months now, and absolutely love it ! (replaced a 98 GMC 2500 6.5) One issue I am having with it if Im driving in loose gravel or dirt roads, especially up an incline, I experience wheel hop leading to a loss of traction, I think the tires just begin to break traction when the wheel hop starts. Not always a big deal, I just shift to 4wd, but this may not always be practical. I have'nt been back to the dealer with it yet, but was just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue...Im thinking might be time for bilsteins.. thanks in advance ....Scott

DmaxMaverick
11-03-2008, 19:26
You can't go wrong with the Bilsteins, in any case.

The hop........Too much air pressure in the rear tires. It's just the nature of HD tires on pickups with too little load. Either live with it, air down, or load up.

trailrider0493
11-10-2008, 13:22
Mine has done that from day 1.

Mark Rinker
11-10-2008, 13:56
Open differential, or posi? If open, there may not be much you can do to avoid it.

After driving alot of 2500HDs, and now driving my first 2006 K3500 SRW (single rear wheel), I would investigate new shocks first, and if that doesn't correct it, investigate the spring stack from a 1-ton SRW - if you are really determined to correct it. (You can push 4HI for ALOT for the cost/hassle of this swap...!)

Just got back from deer hunting, lots of gravel roads, lots of mud and very happy with ride and handling quality of the K3500SRW...it is more different than I expected from 3/4 ton...much smoother and more stable feeling in most situations. (As for the hunt, lots mud, no blood.)