PDA

View Full Version : diesel fuel alternatives??...what if..

rameye
09-02-2005, 17:44
Reading alot of the hoopla on greasecar.com, some good info, some not so good.

Anyway here is the question that nobody seems to be able to answer: Could you, if you really had to, pour fresh vegetable, canola, soybean oil right into your tank and run your truck??

Not talking about used or rendered grease, just fresh outta the bottle stuff. Is it miscible with diesel? Would it kill a DS4? Do you have to add something to make it more volatile?

Not trying to start a panic, just kitchen talk.

thanks...ram

Basshopper
09-02-2005, 18:12
it does not matter new VO or WVO all works the same and it does mix very well with D. Some guys are mixing 50/50 with no modification direct into the factory tank, Did it myself before going to the 2 tank system just to check out performance NO DIFF ran great. HOpe that answers your question

DmaxMaverick
09-02-2005, 18:14
There are a bunch of people using WVO, which isn't as clean as fresh. The only issues that come up are with the temp of the oil. Too cool, and it's hard to pump, or doesn't pump. If you added SVO to your tank, it would be fine if it is warm enough. Nothing needs to be done to the oil to get it to burn. Only problems are just getting it to the cylinder.

If I could get fresh veggie oil for a reasonable price, I'd be running it, in one form or another.

DChristie
09-02-2005, 18:32
There are a couple of reasons not to do the straight vo in the tank and go.
First, straight clean veg oil isn't feasible at $5.00 a gallon, that's why nobody does it. Second, It needs to be heated a bit to align the viscosity with that of diesel, 160 degrees is hot enough.
Other than those two, sure you could dump it in the tank and go in an emergency. You would probably run into starting problems the next time you tried to run it unless all of the vo had been purged and replaced with diesel one way or another.
Mixes or blends of diesel and VO aren't entirely stable, it seperates out like milk and cream after awhile so you can't tell what your burning, and that change can be detrimental to the engine. (typically at startup with cold vo in the IP) If you burn through it fast enough it won't have time to segerate so it doesn't matter.

I've done it runs great, and quieter.

DChristie

Bill Siver
09-02-2005, 19:34
Does anyone HERE have a site showing how to setup a WVO cleaning machine, or whatever it is? I read more and more about running it, but was curious how much is involved.

I was looking for a page member, so I can ask questions easier!

THANKS,

Bill

rameye
09-03-2005, 01:46
Thanks for the replies...

Its really not funny (however I'm a bit twisted) however this thought made me chuckle..
I imagined a scene in New Orleans, all the folks running out of the store with Doritos, Ring Dings and VCR's and then they cut to DP members exiting the store with all the canola oil!

Conerning cleaning the oil, I saw greasecar has a setup whereas you suck it in, filter and basically process it all in one tank and then it moves it to a storage tank all contained in one unit in your vehicle..pretty nifty!

The real question is how will my DS4 do with it?
Why is it not reccomended for high pressure rail systems?

Bill Siver
09-03-2005, 05:13
Nevermind.

Thanks!

Bill

Aryeh Levy
09-04-2005, 15:02
is there anybody in the (MD PREF) dc VA PA area who'd be interested in helping me go to a two tank heated WVO system?

This is going to be my best mod to this truck - i'm going propane assist , mild boost increase to 10, egt and boost gauge. then WVO, and i'm done. I'll be happy enough with that setup for a bunch of years

Anybody know if they made a factory extra tank for the 6.5 1998 long bed crew cab? It's be sweet if i can find a extra tank at a junkyard that'll fit stock no mods. although i hear that the chevy extra tanks are just series linked to the first tank...

anybody know what kind of diesel tank i could get at a junkyard that would fit on my truck? looking for at least 30 more for veggie oil.

Rather not have to go a bed topper tank, though it'd be 50+ gallons...

with this diesel wvo and propane assist setup im looking at 1500 miles w/o needing to stop :-D