PDA

View Full Version : Rumor about Duramax ???

SlimWallet
11-06-2008, 11:18
Men,

I was at the GMC dealership to order some parts on Monday.

Salesman told me he had heard ...realm of rumor within GM....that GM will soon stop offering the Duramax engine. I of course was taken aback at this. I asked what they would offer instead and he said he didn't know. Much gloom there at the dealership.

Anyone heard this?

Slim

More Power
11-08-2008, 15:34
GM is scheduled to introduce a big re-design for the 2010 model year. The Duramax replacement is still a Duramax, but with a bump in displacement to 6.9L. Maybe that's what he was referring to... that the run of 6600's is nearly over.

I haven't heard any rumors about GM ending its HD diesel pickup program. In my opinion, it'll be one of the last lines to go - if it comes to that.

Jim

SlimWallet
11-09-2008, 07:35
Jim,

Yes, that makes much more sense.

Thanks for the info.

Slim

Mark Rinker
11-10-2008, 16:14
GM is scheduled to introduce a big re-design for the 2010 model year. The Duramax replacement is still a Duramax, but with a bump in displacement to 6.9L. Maybe that's what he was referring to... that the run of 6600's is nearly over.

I haven't heard any rumors about GM ending its HD diesel pickup program. In my opinion, it'll be one of the last lines to go - if it comes to that.

Jim

I can hardly wait! 5% more displacement = MORE POWER!

Duramaster
11-10-2008, 19:12
AS long as it isn't physically any bigger!!! ;)

jeffscarstrucks
11-10-2008, 20:28
Or hopefully not like the new big Cummins...less real world power and worse fuel economy, or the new Fords to meet emissions and be redesigns at a whim. Only an observation! JEFF

Dakster
11-11-2008, 12:06
AS long as it isn't physically any bigger!!! ;)

Why? You actually wanted room underneath the hood to work on them?

More Power
11-11-2008, 12:22
A larger displacement engine can be tuned to produce similar power to a smaller engine, but with lower cylinder pressures and combustion temperatures - which helps to reduce NOx (oxides of nitrogen - a smog forming emissions component). NOx forms during the peak of combustion temperatures. I think the goal was to maintain power (competitive power), but allow it to meet the tougher 2010 emissions regulations. Even then, we're expecting a urea injection system will be added to the 2010 models, which is also there to help reduce NOx.

I've thought for a few years now that GM should focus more on fuel economy, which has taken a back seat to power in recent years. There's already more than enough power to meet the needs of a pickup truck. ;)

Who knows for sure what the future holds, given what's happening with petroleum prices, the automaker's viability and the incoming political party?..... :(

Jim

Mark Rinker
11-11-2008, 12:34
A larger displacement engine can be tuned to produce similar power to a smaller engine, but with lower cylinder pressures and combustion temperatures - which helps to reduce NOx (oxides of nitrogen - a smog forming emissions component). NOx forms during the peak of combustion temperatures. I think the goal was to maintain power (competitive power), but allow it to meet the tougher 2010 emissions regulations. Even then, we're expecting a urea injection system will be added to the 2010 models, which is also there to help reduce NOx.

I've thought for a few years now that GM should focus more on fuel economy, which has taken a back seat to power in recent years. There's already more than enough power to meet the needs of a pickup truck. ;)

Who knows for sure what the future holds, given what's happening with petroleum prices, the automaker's viability and the incoming political party?..... :(

Jim

Got any info/links on the urea injection system? Is this a separate fluid that would have to be replenished - like a windshield washer type injection, or on the common rail, through the IP?

Agreed on the economy vs. power. I am doing everything possible to stretch fuel dollars - unless a 'tune' will deliver on economy, it doesn't interest me to add power, but waste fuel.

Who knows? Maybe we'll all be holding hands, singing Kumbaya and given our collective monthly diesel fuel allotment... ;)

More Power
11-11-2008, 14:04
Got any info/links on the urea injection system? Is this a separate fluid that would have to be replenished - like a windshield washer type injection, or on the common rail, through the IP?

Agreed on the economy vs. power. I am doing everything possible to stretch fuel dollars - unless a 'tune' will deliver on economy, it doesn't interest me to add power, but waste fuel.

Who knows? Maybe we'll all be holding hands, singing Kumbaya and given our collective monthly diesel fuel allotment... ;)

Lots of information exists about urea injection in general, but not a lot about the specific system GM is planning to use. Yes, it is a separate fluid that will need to be refilled periodically. There was an initial discussion that said GM would foot the refill bill for some length of time during the warranty - though I don't know how expensive a refill would be.

I can remember a discussion with an Isuzu contact a couple of years ago who indicated that the plumbing for all of the various emissions system components in the 2010 systems was a bit discouraging.

I heard a while back that Caterpillar was getting out of the on-road market entirely because of the emissions requirements.

Meanwhile, the carbon nuts are pushing forward with their agenda - even though the globe is cooling, glaciers in AK have grown and the ice sheet in Greenland has expanded. Plus, I heard that RFK jr. is rumored to become the head of the EPA. :(

Jim

gophergunner
11-11-2008, 17:27
I recall back in the fall of 1996 when my dad took posession of his first diesel pickup. A 1997 model year, reg cab 3/4 ton GMC with a 6.5 and auto tranny. At 195 hp (I think it was) it was by far beating the previous 3/4 ton truck he had for towing and hauling, and whatever else he had to throw at it on the farm.

Every once in a while I find myself in discussions with people about which truck is better, which usually turns into which engine has more power or can be souped up more. From there it usually leads to "why don't you soup up your Duramax?"

360 hp is by far more than I need in a truck, it happens to be what the truck engine in the truck was rated at for the year I purchased it, but if I could have gotten a 200-250 hp version that would offer superior fuel mileage I probably would have taken it. Besides, when I tow anything it's not a race anyways.

That 1997 6.5 still has power to it, can still tow if need be, and still gets the same fuel mileage it always has. 200 hp was enough at one point in time, how come its not even close to enough now?

trbankii
11-12-2008, 07:46
I have to agree with the power vs. economy discussion. I understand the marketing behind it, but it has reached the point where half-ton trucks today have more grunt than one-ton trucks of a few years ago - but those half-ton trucks are still being used for the same light duty uses (and less).

"Bigger, better, faster, more" can only be sustained for so long before it gets a bit ridiculous...

mattb5150
11-12-2008, 10:42
Perhaps with a potential merger of GM and Chrysler the new company would use the Cummins in the new pickup and do away with the Duramax? I think that would be a great combo, Cummins/Allison in a GM pickup body. Don't get me wrong I like the Dmax but the big cheeses have to do something drastic to keep up with the foreign competition.

Matt

Mark Rinker
11-12-2008, 11:20
Personally, I'd be disappointed. Maybe a CHOICE of Duramax or Cummins? Now that would be nice... ;)

More Power
11-12-2008, 11:49
The Cummins' blocks are cast in either Brazil, Mexico or perhaps China. The Duramax 6600 blocks are cast in Germany.... If that makes any difference.... ;)

Jim

gophergunner
11-12-2008, 12:16
Give me the choice between Cummins/Duramax and Allison/New Venture transmissions and then throw in the choice of IFS or a solid front end (but the solid front end better have kingpins rather than balljoints)

I would probably have to take a Duramax with an Allison but the solid front end.

Dakster
11-12-2008, 17:08
Urea Injection is being used by the german auto makers, although Honda has found a way around it and still meet 2010 guidelines... A Diesel Accord in the U.S. woul be nice. I'd have a choice to make over VW for a diesel CAR that gets hybrid type mileage. (I know Jeep and Mercedes both diesel vehicles, but their mileage stinks on the US Spec ones)

On a final note, if you end up with Urea inection, you almost could piss in the truck to make it go...

More Power
11-12-2008, 22:32
Just to set the record straight.... :o

As a result of this thread, I'm now told that the 2010 Duramax will remain a 6600..... No increase in displacement.... and no urea injection for the 2010 model-year Duramax 6600. This comes from those who know....

In addition, I'm also told that the Duramax 6600 blocks are now cast in Defiance, Ohio.

The 6.9L information came to me from a couple of reliable sources, but not from DMAX, with one report going back to about 18 months ago. I'm sorta glad the 6600 will remain. :)

Jim

rapidoxidationman
01-03-2009, 23:12
I have to agree with the power vs. economy discussion. I understand the marketing behind it, but it has reached the point where half-ton trucks today have more grunt than one-ton trucks of a few years ago - but those half-ton trucks are still being used for the same light duty uses (and less).

"Bigger, better, faster, more" can only be sustained for so long before it gets a bit ridiculous...

Ever ridden a Suzuki GSXR 1000? Plenty ridiculous, but OMFG is it fun....

leolkfrm
01-10-2009, 20:08
in 1973 oil embargo years they said the big block gas was done, it's now 2009 and they are still building them.