PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the TDP, Diesel running better

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-06-2008, 19:41
:DJust wanted to say thanks to Jim and the crew here at TDP. Without this site, I don't think I would have been able to accomplish all the work on my truck.

Starting Monday, I dug into the truck. The IP had been going for a while, causing hard warm starts and tons of white smoke during cold starts.

Here is what I did:
IP swap, IP turn up 7/16th
GM-1 to GM-3 Turbo
New rad
New Oil cooler lines
New Oil Filter Adapter Seal Kit
Glow plugs
Starter Brace
Coolant overflow system
New plenum
Boost Gauge
Pyrometer Gauge
Bumper Swap
Grill Swap
New Battery connections
and a few other assorted things
Truck has sat since last Friday morning. After everything was bolted up, I cracked all four Left bank injectors, and hopped inside. 45 seconds of start/stop cranking and the truck was starting to fire. Hopped out and tightened up the injectors. An extra glow, and the truck started immediately. No coolant leaks or oil leaks that I can tell, which are gremlins I have been chasing for the last year and a half. Truck idled without a miss that it used to have, and started with no white smoke at all, after sitting for almost a week. Waited five minutes and watched the temperature rise nicely.Hopping on the go pedal, the GM-3 announced that it was in better shape than the previous resident turbo, chirping immediately. The stacks put out black smoke like never before, and the tach showed steady up to 3,600 rpms, where it stayed for a second without missing like it used to.
Due to the fact that it was dark, below freezing, lightly raining, the fact that I had choir practice shortly, and that there was a few more things to put back on, I had to forego the treat of driving her tonight. Will let y'all know tomorrow about the difference in drive power. :D
D-Max, thanks for the tip on plugging in for a few hours, I am sure it helped. Also noticed that with the oil cooler lines in, the OP was were it used to be. Thanks again!

More Power
11-06-2008, 23:23
Thanks for letting us know! It is gratifying to get a good result from a good deal of invested effort and $. I once actually jumped up & down with a big smile on my face after a 6.2 remove/rebuild/replace and hearing it purr in the driveway... :)

Jim

Robyn
11-07-2008, 08:22
Gotta love it when a plan comes together :D

Good to hear

Robyn

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-07-2008, 10:24
Sorry, it was MP who gave the tip on plugging in.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-07-2008, 14:33
Finally took the Evil Diesel for a romp. I knew there was more power when I left the driveway and punched it, and the backend of the truck went sideways. What followed put's many local Cummin's to shame in the field of black smoke. Insane. Leaving another stop light, the rearend broke loose and continued until I upshifted after letting it sit at 3,600 for a good 3-4 seconds. The GM-3 is still at stock boost, but that will be changed in around an hour. Planning a dyno run shortly, I wanna know what the numbers are on this thing now! :D

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-13-2008, 18:45
I had hoped for more milage as the previous system sucked pretty badly. Getting an average of 15 MPG around town with diesel at $1.29/liter.
Filled the tank until I could see diesel liquid and set the trip OD. Wanted to know what my worst milage is going to be, so I drove around town with foot to the floor. Filled up today after putting 102 kms on the tank. (63 miles) Filled to previous level, used 9.2 liters/3.78 = 2.43 gallons for 63 miles. Verified by my friend who was with me. You do the math. ;)