PDA

View Full Version : Heavy smoke at idle that burns the eyes

80Sierra
11-06-2008, 22:53
Hey guys!

I picked up an 86 6.2L K10 earlier on this year, and have been using it as an off road rig for most of the summer.

The truck has always produced smoke at an idle that goes away as soon as you start driving, and doesn't come back until a few minutes after you stop and let it idle.

Before I used to get a light haze behind the truck when accelerating, which is standard to these engines, but now I am getting a pretty significant black smoke even on a light acceleration, and getting a very large volume of thick smoke at idle / part throttle which burns the eyes, and does not go away until you get into producing black smoke. On the highway the truck does not smoke unless you put your foot into it / downshift to keep speed on a hill.

Normally I wouldn't worry too much about it, but my wheeling partners have been complaining about how the diesel smoke burns their eyes when I am idling around on the trails, and I've noticed a loss of mileage / power.

The part that concerns me is that the really heavy smoke is kind of on the intermittant side. Sometimes it is so thick that I have to hold my breath to run through the cloud to get into my truck and move it, or shut it down on the trail so I don't kill myself in the cab. When it is smoking heavily like that, a bit of throttle produces even more smoke, but a couple sharp revs will make it clear up a bit. Other times the smoke is still eye burning, but is light enough that it doesn't bother me too terribly much.

My first thought is worn injector nozzles making for a drippy idle / part throttle spray pattern, but that wouldn't explain the intermittant side of things.

The engine has a nice and healthy rattle to it, and I've already confirmed that my injection timing is good. I've got about 5 PSI of fuel pressure at the supply line for the IP, and have no fuel system problems. Both filters are fairly new, and clean flowing.

Any thoughts?

DmaxMaverick
11-07-2008, 01:15
It sounds like you are due for a set of injectors. Counterintuitive as it may sound. Classic and typical, actually. Worn injectors not only have a poor spray pattern, but will start to pop at a lower pressure as internals get worn. Advancing your timing will help, but won't cure it.

80Sierra
11-07-2008, 06:31
Cool, hopefully thats the only problem!

I'll grab a set of re-mans tonight and get it done!

Robyn
11-07-2008, 08:16
Maverick is right on

The injectors loose pop pressure and the spray, instead of a mist becomes a pea stream that does not burn.

Also the IP looses its ability to hold pressure and most likely the advance piston is worn out.

Get the IP freshened up and the injectors too and the little creature will come back to its former glory. :)

Also the timing chain has stretched which further retards the timing making matters worse.

Best

Robyn