PDA

View Full Version : Input requested

DaveBr
11-08-2008, 17:00
I have a 93 2500 that I really am happy with. I would like to buy a 1/2 ton 4x4 short box GMC or Chev and use the 2500 for trailering and such. I have read a lot of threads and TDP manuals to realize that there are a few PMD, relay, ECM, IP, etc. problems relating to 94 and up 6.5's. I do my own mechanical stuff but when it comes to electrical stuff... God help me please. Are these 94 & up trucks reasonably reliable? Are these problems fewer and further apart than I think? I would appreciate some feedback please.

More Power
11-09-2008, 01:23
Most electronic 6.5 owners can manage just fine with the help of the community here and with The Diesel Page. ;)

Jim

DaveBr
11-10-2008, 18:15
Thanks

Point taken

DennisG01
11-10-2008, 18:24
When I bought my Suburban, I really wasn't even aware of "common" problems. In fact, I really didn't even know much about diesels at all. After being around here for a while, I suppose the only common thing would be the PMD - which is easily fixed. This board has helped me TREMENDOUSLY in gaining the confidence necessary to analyze and fix problems that may arise.

That being said, and to better answer your question, I don't consider the occasional problem I've had to be out of the ordinary. I wouldn't shy away from buying another one.

chickenhunterbob
11-11-2008, 11:02
Most dependable, longest lasting trucks on the road, I think GM said.

I have a '94, over 15 years old now, and would drive it anywhere.

With the help of a service manual, TDP book or two and the message board, and some time to familiarize one's self with the various systems, one can easily check some of the known potential common problems, the vacuum system, lift pump/OPS, harmonic balancer, etc. and have a vehicle as reliable as any other on the road.