PDA

View Full Version : Fuel injection pump or injector?

kidcharger
11-08-2008, 18:09
My father & I have a unreliable 1995 GMC 1500 4x4 pick up with only 166500km.We replaced 3 times the injection fuel pump, 1 time 8 injector nozzles & yesterday the turbocharger.We replace the turbo because it was very noisy & black smoke at pipe.Now there is no power,lots of black smoke ,engine stalls,maximum speed is 60 km/h.Engine starts normally,a tic tic noise from injection pump or injector I guess.My question:
HOW CAN WE VERIFY IF THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP IS DEFECTIVE OR THE INJECTION NOZZLES?I say it is some injection nozzle but my father says it is the injection pump.Please a method of diagnostic .:confused:

rhsub
11-08-2008, 19:31
Scan check it for trouble codes first!!!! and let us know what codes are in PCM
Ron

kidcharger
11-11-2008, 22:44
We replaced the fuel injection pump today with a rebuilt one 1000$ the injector nozzle have been checked by a diesel shop & all are ok.Turbo rebuilt last week.
STILL LOTS OF BLACK SMOKE & NO POWER.Unpluged EGR no effect.What's the problem please?No code

rhsub
11-11-2008, 23:51
Restricted intake to turbo
Vacuum system; should have 15-20 in of vac at turbo wastegate at idle
Stuck or malfuncting egr system
Intake manifold plugged with soot from egr
Plugged exhaust
Is turbo spooling up?
Is wastegate functing properly? Did you install a rebuilt or a used turbo
Is it a vin "S" or "F" engine 8th digit of vin
Let us know
Ron

69ra3ta
11-12-2008, 18:36
It sounds like the Wastegate is in the fail (open) position. Check the Wastegate Solenoid for proper operation. It should be located on the top rear, drivers-side of your engine with 2 vacuum lines running to it. Are you getting vacuum there? The Vacuum Pump should be operational of course. The good news is that if it is the Wastegate Solenoid, it is not a real pricey part to replace. Boost gauge? If so, what is your boost pressure at cruise and load?

kidcharger
11-12-2008, 19:46
Vacuum at vacuum pump 28 Hg
vacuum at wastegate actuator 15+_
No engine light,no code.,new turbo,new IP,Good injectors,new fuel filter.new air cleaner,intake cleaned,EGR OK,exhaust system not clogged.
The actuator rod do not fully comes back,the vacuum section works but the spring loaded is weak or broken.I read on the GM manual shop the waste gate rod must fully come back.I am not certain which part the actuator or the wastegate valve is faulty.
I hold the waste gate fully push to the firewall & smoke was almost inexistant.If I pull the wastegate valve to the front of engine,It smoke like hell.I will replace the wastegate actuator tomorrow & see.
Thank you for all I'm getting confident.

kidcharger
11-13-2008, 19:08
Try a new wastegate actuator,same problem,lots of smoke & the wastegate valve do not close.does the actuator have a spring loaded to push back the wastegate vale?Could someone check on his engine if the wastegate valve is fully closed at idle?
New IP,injectors OK,new turbo,28hg vacuum at pump,15hg at actuator wastegate at idle,Lots of smoke,no power,no code

daustin
11-13-2008, 20:18
The wastegate should be fully closed at idle and hard to move by hand.
Don

suburbanK-2500HD
11-13-2008, 21:03
Is the engine consuming any oil....
Thinking of oil fom the Turbo blowing thru the bearing, and in to the exhaust..

kidcharger
11-14-2008, 09:05
The wastegate should be fully closed at idle and hard to move by hand.
Don
Where is the close position of the wastegate?

DmaxMaverick
11-14-2008, 09:22
Where is the close position of the wastegate?

Forward. It should be very difficult to move it by hand (most folks can't) if enough vacuum is present (15" Hg) and the actuator is healthy.

rhsub
11-14-2008, 16:22
Appling vacuum closes the wastegate, no vacuum the exhaust pressure in the turbo will open the wastegate.
Ron

rustyk
11-15-2008, 22:07
Change the air filter. A dirty filter will collapse the rubber duct from the air cleaner to the turbo intake.

kidcharger
11-17-2008, 19:03
Problem huge black smoke,no power 1995 6.5 TD 180600km, S engine
Replaced Injection pump,coded for solenoid
Replaced turbo,noisy & bearing worn
injectors checked
intake manifold cleaned,EGR checked,EGR + waste gate checked,26 Hg at pump.15 Hg at waste gate actuator,no vacuum leak,waste gate free when engine off,closed at idle,rod stiff at idle
no DTC,no engine light on dash.
Since I did not have any DTC,I suspected the PCM did not communicate to dash.I begin to unplug EGR solenoid,no light,waste gate solenoid,no light,then MAP sensor,Engine light on & no more smoke.I rev the engine still no smoke.Went for a test drive,Perfect,no smoke & good power.Bought & replaced MAP sensor(the one screw on the firewall)& truck run like new.:cool:
Truck for sale!Too complicated to fix & too expensive to fix

Diesel Krazy
12-09-2008, 12:31
Of course it's expensive to fix if you just start throwing parts at it???

This is a perfect example of no patience and not listening.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-09-2008, 13:33
Just need to look at the location of the truck..... :D
Sorry, my Western seperatist side coming out.