PDA

View Full Version : Removing the resistor in the FSD/PMD

Jochen Woern
11-08-2008, 21:34
How does one properly pull the resistor out of a bad FSD/PMP?

I will receive a new DTech this coming Monday, so I prepared everything today by removing my FSD Cooler including the old Stanadyne FSD/PMD.

I got the old #5 resistor out of the Stanadyne to be able to mount it into my new DTech when it arrives, but it was a real b*tch to get it out. I used a small screwdriver as well as tweasers, but again, it was tough.

Is there a "trick of the trade" for future reference as to how to remove a resistor out of a FSD/PMD Unit?

Many thanks in advance.

simon
11-08-2008, 22:01
I use a hard steel wire of the right size,I bend a small hook on each end, bend the wire in a u shape, That way you can pull it straight up and out even when the critter is tight.

Jochen Woern
11-08-2008, 22:07
What happens if you use the PMD WITHOUT any resistor installed?

DmaxMaverick
11-08-2008, 22:40
What happens if you use the PMD WITHOUT any resistor installed?

It'll set a DTC (trouble code), and reduce power to default (minimum) fueling.

To get it out, I've always used a paperclip with a hook bent into the end. Never had one "really" tight, but might go to something stronger if it happened (like piano wire).

Jochen Woern
11-09-2008, 01:33
As always, many thanks Dmax

JFerg65
11-09-2008, 05:01
It was recommended in a thread on here previously to use a paperclip to make the removal tool out of. I did it and it worked like as charm. Just don't rush the process or you will end uup damaging the resistor.