PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear and clutch problems

clem_acc
11-09-2008, 18:21
I am finally getting around to fixing my truck. Was real busy at work and i also have a work truck to drive. My problem started with the clutch not disengaging fully. From what i was told here the pivot arm and ball on the clutch wear out and cause this. I plan on replacing them. Should i go to the dealer or does anyone have any recommendations on a place to purchase these parts (local dealer is a moron, did not even have an idea on how to set the pump). The above problem caused a loss of 5th gear, oh &^%#!!!

I now have the trans out and after the fun of getting that rear casing off i lucked out finding that my problem was just a missing / broken lock ring. The trans itself looks in real good condition otherwise. When i pulled out the slave cylinder the (not sure what it is called) pin that pushes on the pivot arm looks like it was in backwards and missing a piece. Does anyone know where i may find some diagrams or an exploded view of this assembly. I just want to make sure that all parts are present and in the right order / position. The previous owner was meticulous in taking care of the truck but is not the most mechanical person. He supposedly changed the clutch, with some help but i know he did not replace the pivot ball assembly.
Also,are there any general recommendations on what should be done while i have the trans out.

a5150nut
11-09-2008, 20:35
http://drivetrain.com/ has the parts and tech support to get you through this. They have an upgrade for the 5th gear nut backing off to. They even have a help line on the weekends.

Delivery is as the say it will be. In my case it was sooner. They have a $25 minimum, but after I spent $1k they were willing to ship a few small pieces I needed without the minimum charge.

I think it was Dave I dealt with, just ask for the older guy. Single parts, complete overhaul kits, or exchange rebuilt.

trbankii
11-10-2008, 07:10
You can follow through 6.5DD and my clutch replacement story here (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=31207).

Includes pictures of components and shows the difference between the old and new pivot balls. :eek: