PDA

View Full Version : modified CAT and emissions testing?

JFerg65
11-10-2008, 18:42
Wanted to know if anybody out there has passed an emissions opacity test with a modified cat in place? I recently had my annual test and had a 0.6. 20.0 was max allowed. This was with a stock exhaust and cat in place. I figure I've got some wiggle room between a .6 and a 20 to play with. We get three free tests if problems arise.

JFerg65
11-11-2008, 17:19
OK, let me re-phrase this.. Has anybody ever heard of someone who passed the opacity test with a modified cat?

kaylabryn
11-12-2008, 10:22
Yes I did but my opacity ws kind of high like 14%. Also here in AZ they let the owner control the throttle so you have to learn not too stop it to the floor just easy it down there.

Mike

suburbanK-2500HD
11-12-2008, 10:44
i have also passed the test over here in Norway.

I have 3,5 inch all the way, and no cat.
Opacity was 0,24 :)

Actually, in my case it was lower without cat than with.

JFerg65
11-12-2008, 16:01
Thanks Guys! I appreciate the feedback on this one.

Stratosurfer
11-18-2008, 19:59
I hope I've posted this on another thread on this site: here in -very- rural Texas the state is now enforcing Visual Inspections on older diesels and gas vehicles. That is, if you don't have a Cat, and the book says The General put one on at the factory, you must have one or you don't pass inspection. As I understand this is part of EPA 2006 which is just finding it's way out to my isolated neck of the world.
I have been waiting on an exhaust system to see how all this goes as a 4 or 5" cat costs about $800 to add on to the cost of system.

JFerg65
11-19-2008, 04:33
The same goes for us in Ohio. I've "heard of " people taking stock cat units and opening them up to breath a little easier. AKA take the guts out. That is what I was getting at. But as my disclaimer.... Always abide by state and local laws

winemaker
11-19-2008, 22:22
We have "AirCare" here in greater Vancouver. I passed the test late September with a Heath exhaust, no cat. The tester was too busy chatting up his female coworker to do the visual, so I definately got away with one there. I knew this test was a scam!
If I remember, I'll look up my opacity and post it.
Brett

JFerg65
11-20-2008, 04:39
If you could dig that up, that would be great. Thanks for the info.

JeffsJeep04
11-20-2008, 12:30
I hope I've posted this on another thread on this site: here in -very- rural Texas the state is now enforcing Visual Inspections on older diesels and gas vehicles. That is, if you don't have a Cat, and the book says The General put one on at the factory, you must have one or you don't pass inspection. As I understand this is part of EPA 2006 which is just finding it's way out to my isolated neck of the world.
I have been waiting on an exhaust system to see how all this goes as a 4 or 5" cat costs about $800 to add on to the cost of system.

Put on a 4" system and use the shell of your stock cat, welded on. You'll pass visual.

Stratosurfer
11-23-2008, 12:02
Put on a 4" system and use the shell of your stock cat, welded on. You'll pass visual.

Is that what you did? I thought the cat was 3" in and out.

JeffsJeep04
11-23-2008, 16:33
Is that what you did? I thought the cat was 3" in and out.

No, I gutted my factory one. Once I put on a new system, I won't have anything there since we don't do emissions up here. If I had to do a visual, I'd weld the stock case around the new pipe as a dummy to pass visual.