PDA

View Full Version : '97 drivetrain swap into '94 3500

markrinker
05-04-2004, 12:18
Some of you might recall that I bought the engine, accessories, transmission, 4.10 dually rear and springs from a wrecked 1997 3500 2WD to swap into my 1994 3500 4WD.

Well, as expected when dealing with out of state sellers on Ebay the picture painted was a just a little more rosey than the reality. To be honest, I expected SOME of that for the total price of $3800 and $700 shipping, but there are many signs that the truck took much more of a 'lick' during the wreck than one could EVER imagine, and have the drive live through it. (I was duly warned by more than one DP member who checked out the Ebay auction last month...)

#1) Water pump wasted. (Disclosed after sale.)
#2) Air pump wasted. (Never disclosed.)
#3) Crank pully bent. (Misrepresented - HUGE concerns here.)
#4) A/C bracket bent, A/C unit questionable.
#5) Something penetrated a valve cover and damaged a rocker arm and retainer. (Seller suggests forklift during shipment.)
#6) Main wiring harness cut. (Misrepresented.)
#7) Computer not shipped. (Promised by seller.)
#8) Leaf springs bent and unusable (Misrepresented.)
#9) 2 of 4 Alcoa wheels unusable. (One was disclosed, second discovered upon teardown.)

The shop is separating the engine/trans and pulling the pan for bottom end inspection today. I don't know how we can be 100% sure that the crank isn't cracked or block webs damaged by a visual inspection, but thats what we're doing.

The vision of a total 1997 driveline swap into the 1994 chassis has faded to a 64K mile long block swap due to the wrecked harness, incompatible transmissions (1997 2WD vs 1994 4WD output shaft are different lengths/and speedo issues). The rear end should still swap onto my existing 3500 springs and I'll use the add-a-leaf from the 1997 stack.

One positive outcome is I now own a clean 1997 4L80E 2WD tranny with 64K miles that should be a $1000 bill towards the project. If anyone is interested, let me know. (Yes, I'll personally guarantee it to be sound.)

Keep your fingers crossed for me on the outcome of the teardown...more to be posted soon.

[ 05-04-2004, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

JeepSJ
05-04-2004, 14:22
If you paid by PayPal, you can file a complaint. If they find that the seller misrepresented, they can work with you to get some of your money back. I had the same thing happen when I purchased my intake - the pic was of a new intake, and the description was "new". Well, I had a problem with the greasy unit that arrived. The seller said "it will clean up to as good as new." I filed a complaint through PayPal and suddenly the seller was willing to work it out and he refunded 1/2 of the sales price.